walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carrock Fell, High Pike, Knott and Great Calva

Carrock Fell, High Pike, Knott and Great Calva

Postby Rodhumphreys » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:07 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Carrock Fell, Great Calva, High Pike (Northern Fells), Knott

Hewitts included on this walk: Carrock Fell, Great Calva, High Pike, Knott

Date walked: 08/04/2023

Time taken: 4

Distance: 19 km

Ascent: 1190m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

[attachment=1]Mosedale to Threlkeld.gpx[
This is a great round of four Hewitts nestling to the north of the large mountain masses of Blencathra and Skiddaw. I chose to follow a linear route from Mosedale through to Threlkeld but there is an excellent alternative from Skiddaw House eastwards which converts this into a circular route.

I parked in a flat off-road area just above Stone Ends, north of Mosedale. If you look carefully at the front of Carrock Fell you can discern the narrow path rising right to left across the face of the hill. It's difficult to miss it, and once on the path it will lead you steadily up the hill, weaving back towards the right as you gain ground on the higher slopes, So, after just 35 minutes I was stood on top of Carrock admiring the clear view of the route ahead to High Pike and Knott.

The crossing westwards over Round Knott and Milton Hill is across grass paths, so it is quick as long as you can skate across some of the wetter areas, but always pleasant. An out-and-back to High Pike then follows, favouring the route along the Cumbria Way for a short stretch. The path to the ridge departs to the right at Miller Moss (yep, it's a bit boggy!) and is briefly steep but ultimately a longer easy gradient soon leads to the top of Knott,, now revealing the forward route to Great Calva.

I have to say that Great Calva is a good looking hill. It has a certain prominence and a distinctive colour, and it sits nicely between the two more famous mountain masses. The area between Knott and GC is probably the most interesting for anyone who has previously climbed Blencathra from Threlkeld and Skiddaw from Keswick because it reveals this wonderful area behind the mountains.

Great Calva again involves a relatively easy climb up a steady gradient. The top of this attractive hill is a bit understated, but the views down the valley towards Threlkeld are great. There is no path shown off the top but there is an obvious tread heading south towards Skiddaw House. After one mile of descent, you reach a good driveable track (the Cumbria Way again). It is worth noting that, if I was heading in the opposite direction, I probably would have had difficulty in locating the path rising up GC from the Cumbria Way which would have made the ascent difficult over heather. But there are no issues heading downwards as long as you keep on the line of the path southwards.

Skiddaw House quickly comes in to view, and anyone who wishes to do a circular back to Mosedale will turn left at this point. My route continued south down the valley, eventually turning left across the Glenderaterra Beck to pass the parking spaces above Blencathra Field Centre prior to dropping down a further mile into the cafe at the Village Hall in Threlkeld.

Despite some quite wet ground conditions, I found this to be a fast journey across mostly good paths. The ascents are all steady, and the hills and valleys in the area are a revelation.
Attachments
Great Calva from Knott.jpg

Mosedale to Threlkeld.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Rodhumphreys
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:163
Wainwrights:95   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland