walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A solitary boggy walk

A solitary boggy walk

Postby clivew » Sun May 08, 2011 11:32 am

Route description: Meall Glas and Sgiath Chuil from Glen Dochart

Munros included on this walk: Meall Glas, Sgiath Chùil

Date walked: 08/05/2011

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 16.5 km

Ascent: 1245m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The description of this particular walk on the web site is very accurate, firstly it correctly states that there is a fair amount of boggy ground to cross and secondly it says the walk attracts little attention from Glen Dochart being so well set back from the road; how true this description is particularly after some heavy overnight rain. From the moment I left the farm track at Auchessan the path was boggy and it stayed that way all the way to the dam on the Allt Riobain and beyond, I chose to stay on the ridge from Sgiath Chuil to Meall a' Churain before heading down to the bealach, luckily just as I started the descent the clouds briefly cleared giving me a great view of Loch Lyon to the North. The section of the path between Meall a' Churain and Beinn Cheathaich is very steep in places and when you cross the bealach again it is very boggy. The last part of the walk from the summit of Meall Glas back to the starting point at Auchessan was across an energy sapping bog almost the entire way, I cramped up part way across after jumping a number of boggy bits and streams, it's funny how I almost always get cramp if I jump ditches etc.
This was an unusual walk for two reasons, firstly apart from sections of the ridge adjacent to both Munros it was almost entirely path less and secondly, for the first time ever, I never set eyes on another person from the time I left Auchessan until I returned to the car almost 6 hours later. Its on solitary walks like this you realise why you carry a compass, torch, whistle etc. even in summer time and why I leave a copy of the route with with my better half before I set off (not that she would know what to do with it). In spite of the boggy ground it was a very satisfying and enjoyable day on the hills and there is certainly something nice about the occasional solitary walk.
clivew
Mountain Walker

Munros:157   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: A solitary boggy walk

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 08, 2011 12:08 pm

Some go from the south, some from the north but, as you say, most say it's boggy. Walked these hills myself last November and also found it boggy for the first part by the Allt up to Sgiath Chuil - having read the reports beforehand, I think I was expecting it to be very bad but it didn't turn out to be as bad as I thought it would be so was pleasantly suprised :? :problem: :eh: that aside, you do get great views back to Ben More and through to Ben Challum and Ben Lui. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: A solitary boggy walk

Postby Rekrab » Sun May 08, 2011 12:23 pm

had a great day on these hills!!! when I did them.

also didn't see anyone and bog was def about but didn't bug be.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150227830790578.459724.607500577&l=c4f80661e6

MacKenzie
Rekrab
Munro compleatist

Munros:85   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:45

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland