walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Going for gold come hail or shine

Going for gold come hail or shine

Postby dogplodder » Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:38 pm

Route description: Beinn Chuirn, Dalrigh

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Chuirn

Date walked: 24/04/2023

Distance: 16.5 km

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a long awaited walk reunion after Ruth's birthday hill up Beinn Mheadhonach in 2020. This one was a birthday hill for me and was a choice between Ben Cruachan and Beinn Chuirn. Thinking Chuirn a tamer option I was tending towards Cruachan, but then the forecast warned of wintry tops and we didn't think icy rocks and hailstones at the top of Cruachan the best idea. So Beinn Chuirn it was.

We parked at the Dalrigh car park and took a short detour to the bridge over the river to get our first sighting of our target hill, which from that point looked a very long way off.

River Cononish and distant Beinn Chuirn
IMG_3869c.JPG

Walking pals Ruth and Keira
IMG_3870c.JPG

We then returned the car park to follow the WH route along Glen Cononish.

Under railway line
IMG_3871c.JPG

Beinn Chuirn looking closer now
IMG_3872.JPG

It's a lovely glen and probably the more satisfying way to climb Ben Lui, as she gradually reveals herself in all her glory. A couple overtook us who were heading for that ascent. They were the only other walkers we spoke to all day and we saw no one on Beinn Chuirn. Seeing them stirred memories of the spring day in the late 90s when a few of us took a group of Chinese friends to climb Ben Lui via the glen but were forced to retreat due to heavy unrelenting rain. Today was a different day with good spells of sunshine interspersed by dark cloud - but visibility was always good.

Ben Lui appearing round the corner
IMG_3874c.JPG

River Cononish
IMG_3875c.JPG

Cononish Farm
IMG_3876c.JPG

Beinn Chuirn with the dark gash of the Eas Anie gorge
IMG_3877c.JPG

Last gate before leaving track
IMG_3878c.JPG

We didn't hear a thing
IMG_3879c.JPG

From the last gate we could see traces of a path heading diagonally up the hillside. We considered taking it but concluded there may be a good reason for staying on the track until the cairn, as suggested by WH. Footnote to that is we very quickly lost the faint path starting from the cairn so on the descent took the diagonal path straight to the gate, which was easy walking and also reduced the distance.

Small cairn marks the spot
IMG_3880c.JPG

Despite having no path I found it less exhausting than the pathless ascent of Beinn Mhanach two days earlier, where the grassy slope was steeper, softer and more lumpy. We took our time, chatting as we climbed, and had a brief stop to add layers half way up. It was lovely in the sunshine and at this stage partly sheltered from the prevailing wind. But the sky was changing and, as the Met Office had predicted, dark clouds were gathering to produce sharp showers of hail that stung the face. MO had also said sunshine would follow so we didn't consider turning back.

Steady incline in bright sunshine
IMG_3882c.JPG

Dark cloud
IMG_3883c.JPG

We pulled on waterproof trousers and with hood up and buff over face we kept going, knowing these showers would blow over which they soon did. But the over trousers stayed on and kept us insulated in the full blast of the wind at the top. The sky very quickly changed from dark grey to intense blue as the photos will show.

Hail or shine the only way is up
IMG_3884c.JPG

Dogs with their fantastic sense of smell are good at sensing the right way to go and true to form Keira showed us where to cross the burn. I'm guessing its down to smelling where others have walked and instinctively following that way. It's only anecdotal evidence based on the very small sample of 7 dogs I've walked with over my adult life, so perhaps best not to rely on when they could equally be following a deer scent!

A burn to cross - the Eas Anie
IMG_3885.JPG

We found the occasional peat hag dry enough to walk across and seams of broken rocks ahead were easily avoided. On the final ascent we were a bit to the west of the path that skirts the top of the cliffs of Coire na Saobhaidhe so only saw them on the descent.

North up the slopes under a deep blue sky
IMG_3886c.JPG

Summit cairn ahead
IMG_3887c.JPG

Beinn Chuirn summit
IMG_3894c.JPG

IMG_3895c.JPG

Crianlarich hills and Beinn Dubhchraig
IMG_3891c.JPG

Ben Lui
IMG_3900c.JPG

It was cold in the blast of the wind so apart from taking a few photos we didn't linger. The top of Ben Cruachan was covered in cloud. A good call not to go there then.

Zoomed to Loch Awe and Ben Cruachan in cloud
IMG_3899c.JPG

Having gloves off to take photos quickly had our hands numb. Further along the ridge looked enticing in the sun so we continued west to look for a sheltered spot out of the wind for lunch. Once along a bit we dropped down on the left side of the ridge to find a nice ledge of rock with a grassy seat below, It was too high to escape the wind completely but for us in all our layers it was perfect. We had comfy seats in the sun and a grandstand view of majestic Ben Lui, queen of the southern highlands.

Sheltering from the wind
IMG_3901c.JPG

With views of Ben Oss and Ben Lui
IMG_3902c.JPG

We had a relaxed leisurely lunch in this delightful spot before it was time to get going again.

Rucksack on and dog lead about to go over head for quick access
WhatsApp Image 2023-04-26 at 17.31.29.jpg

We returned to the summit and the cloud had cleared enough to bring on another wee photo session. What a change in behaviour since the advent of digital photography. I remember in the days of film being very sparing in what photos I took and imagine hill walks didn't take quite as long as they do now for reasons apart from old age!

I had thought this hill the tamer option but as a vantage point for great views it couldn't be bettered. This is a stunning part of the southwest highlands with beautiful landscape on every side. I couldn't be sure but thought I could see Arran's shape through a gap and could clearly make out the distinctive curves of the Paps of Jura.

Cruachan range now clear
IMG_3903c.JPG

Zoomed to Ben Cruachan
IMG_3904c.JPG

Standing at summit for second photo shoot
IMG_3905.JPG

Rather than retrace our ascent route exactly we took the path that would give us a view of the cliffs and followed it carefully. I called Keira away from the edge. It was too blustery to take chances.

Ben Challum and Crianlarich hills
IMG_3907c.JPG

Cliffs of Coire na Saobhaidhe
IMG_3908c.JPG

Path goes close to top of sheer drop
IMG_3909c.JPG

That close
IMG_3910c.JPG

Zoomed to Ben Challum
IMG_3912c.JPG

Zoomed to Ben More group
IMG_3913c.JPG

Thanks to jmarkb I now know this is Purple Saxifrage, one of the earliest plants to flower on high ground
IMG_3915c.JPG

Burn crossing
IMG_3917.JPG

Ben Oss
IMG_3918c.JPG

Glen Cononish
IMG_3919c.JPG

I remember a few years ago watching a TV series about the newly revived gold mining in the glen and had wondered how much of an eyesore that would be. I was relieved to see that apart from the extra approach road and new fencing there really isn't much that's visible, certainly not considering how much is going on underground daily. We joked about hitching a lift with gold miners at the end of their shift and soon after saw a convoy of four white vehicles approaching. The first was full of men, the second had a flashing light on top and the last two had high visibility markings like a police car would. We wondered how much gold bullion they were carrying but decided not to try and find out. In the next photo the mine buildings can be seen above the trees on the right and the convoy is only just visible coming over the brow of the hill on the road far off. It felt a bit cheeky to take one as they passed.

Ben Lui and gold rush convoy
IMG_3922c.JPG

All along the track I had Keira on the lead as sheep could without any warning suddenly pop up close by. Dogs can do a lot of damage around lambing time and dog owners can't be too careful. Some think their beloved dog would never attack sheep. But that's sentimental thinking. It's what dogs are wired to do and given the opportunity any dog could.

Watched by Blackface sheep and lambs
IMG_3923c.JPG

Back at the car we agreed it had been a great day. Standing among higher and more often climbed mountains Beinn Chuirn holds its own as a hill of character and is an amazing viewpoint to its more celebrated neighbours. It also has the distinction of having a hidden heart of gold. :D
Last edited by dogplodder on Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:24   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Going for gold come hail or shine

Postby jmarkb » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:39 pm

Nice report - some lovely photos there! Good to know that the mine's visual impact is not too severe, though it seems it is not doing very well as a business: https://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2023/04/03/the-cononish-goldmine-and-scotgold-on-the-rocks-who-profits-and-the-future-of-the-planet/

dogplodder wrote:Someone will likely know what this alpine is

That's Purple Saxifrage (Saxifraga oppositifolia) - almost always the first spring flower on high ground.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:52 am

Hi DP

I love photos with plenty sunshine and the contrast of dark clouds so this report hit the spot for me :clap: :clap:

This hill has never been on my radar but the views look really good so maybe I should start to look at it (I think I got fed up driving the A85 about 3 years ago as I seemed to be on it every week).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby jmarkb » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:45 am

Gordie12 wrote:This hill has never been on my radar but the views look really good so maybe I should start to look at it

If you are up for a slightly longer outing, going via Meall Odhar is worthwhile (starting from Tyndrum Lower station and going up via the old lead mines).
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Gordie12 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:09 pm

jmarkb wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:This hill has never been on my radar but the views look really good so maybe I should start to look at it

If you are up for a slightly longer outing, going via Meall Odhar is worthwhile (starting from Tyndrum Lower station and going up via the old lead mines).

Thanks for that, I see a few walk reports that include both hills so I'll take a look at them.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby dogplodder » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:40 pm

jmarkb wrote:Nice report - some lovely photos there! Good to know that the mine's visual impact is not too severe, though it seems it is not doing very well as a business: https://parkswatchscotland.co.uk/2023/04/03/the-cononish-goldmine-and-scotgold-on-the-rocks-who-profits-and-the-future-of-the-planet/

dogplodder wrote:Someone will likely know what this alpine is

That's Purple Saxifrage (Saxifraga oppositifolia) - almost always the first spring flower on high ground.

I was just being lazy not looking it up so thanks for this. An amazing wee flower that has special hairs to trap the snow to form an insulating layer when the temperature drops. Thanks too for the info on the mine. Sorry to hear it's struggling - along with just about everything else these days. :?
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Mon May 01, 2023 9:38 am

Gordie12 wrote:Hi DP

I love photos with plenty sunshine and the contrast of dark clouds so this report hit the spot for me :clap: :clap:

This hill has never been on my radar but the views look really good so maybe I should start to look at it (I think I got fed up driving the A85 about 3 years ago as I seemed to be on it every week).

I know the feeling, having a similar relationship with the A82. :problem:
dogplodder

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland