walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

BEN VORLICH & STUC A'CHROIN -wow

BEN VORLICH & STUC A'CHROIN -wow

Postby blueyed » Sun May 08, 2011 5:48 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 24/04/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

we climbed the two munros on easter sunday which was my birthday this year. that made is a great birthday present from weather gods - it was dry the whole day although it looked like torrential rain was just about to start.
i already walked ben vorlich, but last time i wasnt really bothered to include stuc a'chroin - especially with my too small walking boots and blisters already building up.

we reached ben vorlich within 2.5hrs, had lunch, then walked down 20mins to the foot of the hill and approached and climbed stuc a'chroin within 1.5hrs . there was a little bit of scrambling, but nothing that would make us uncomfortable, to be honest that was something that brought a little bit of joy (as we havent done much scrambling in scotland before)

actually i was just about to name stuc a'chroin my fav mountain in scotland but then (last week) we walked ben more (mull, the ridge walk) and that is no 1 for me so far :)

some ore pics: http://around-scotland.blogspot.com/2011/04/ben-vorlich-stuc-achroin.html
Attachments
DSC_0667z.jpg
ben vorlich
DSC_0669.jpg
towards tarmachan ridge and lawers range
DSC_0672.jpg
ben vorlich, nearly there
dsc_672c.JPG
my birthday on easter sunday - got painted egg and a candle to make a wish :)
DSC_0678.jpg
stuc a'chroin
DSC_0680.jpg
the path to stuc a'chroin
DSC_0691.jpg
looking back to ben vorlich
DSC_0694.jpg
stuc a'chroin - scramble on the menu
DSC_0694a.jpg
path up (more less there)
dsc_695b.JPG
looking down, half way up
DSC_0698.jpg
shy ben vorlich from stuc a'chroin
DSC_0702.jpg
towards the summit of stuc a'chroin
DSC_0708_1.jpg
nice...
DSC_0716_1.jpg
stuc a'chroin - the summit
DSC_0724.jpg
s a'c - the summit
DSC_0732.jpg
path down from stuc a'chroin, loose scree, steep
dsc_0739A.JPG
thru the boggy... grassy...
blueyed
Hill Bagger

Munros:50   Corbetts:13
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:5   

Re: BEN VORLICH & STUC A'CHROIN -wow

Postby Tenbob » Sun May 08, 2011 7:23 pm

Nice one blueyed. Ben Vorlich was my 2nd Munro and I admit that at that point Stuc a'Chroin looked scary to me. However, now I am more than ready for that scramble. Like your birthday egg :lol:
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Re: BEN VORLICH & STUC A'CHROIN -wow

Postby pollyh33 » Sun May 08, 2011 8:19 pm

Happy (belated) Birthday Wishes!!!

I'm heading up to Loch Earn next week and was planning on climbing these two. So thankyou so much for your timely report- it was invaluable and the photos are smashing! :D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland