walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

05 & 06 Meall Corranaich & Meall a'Choire Leith 19th July 09

05 & 06 Meall Corranaich & Meall a'Choire Leith 19th July 09

Postby Tenbob » Sun May 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Route description: Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Lèith

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 19/07/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 797m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my previous bagging of Beinn Ghlas & Ben Lawers it was back to Lawers again. This time for the not-so-remarkable Meall Corranaich and Meall a' Choire Leith.

I still hadn't bought any maps by this time and was still relying on my road atlas to find Munro's. I know, how embarrassing! Unsurprisingly I wasn't 100% sure where I was headed. I ended up at the head of Lochan na Lairige, thankfully there were some people parked up there and asked if they knew.

Indeed they did, just carry on up the road. They had these huge huskie dogs and as you can see, the beast was enormous!

01 Big huskie dog. Met on way to Meall Corranaich & Meal a'Choire Leith when I made a wrong turn.JPG
Huge Huskie

So, off I went, heading in the right direction. I parked up not far from the cairn and set off. The terrain was quite boggy in places, not helped by the wet weather.

03 Boggy ground on flat moorland towards Meal Corranaich ascent.JPG
Boggy ground

There's not a lot going on with this ascent, just trudge on. Join the fence posts on the west ridge of Meall Corranaich and continue up to the summit, passing a subsidiary top along the way.

05 View back from Meall Corranaich ascent 2.JPG
View back from Meall Corranaich

Meall Corranaich's summit cairn

06 Cairn at Meall Corranaich summit.JPG
Meall Corranaich's summit cairn

The walk along the ridge to Coire Liath and the ridge leading to Meall a' Choire Leith is more enjoyable.

09 Me at the Cairn at Coire Liath with Meall Corranaich in background.JPG
Me at the cairn at Coire Liath

12 Looking back at the ridge from Meal a'Choire Leith.JPG
The ridge leading up to Meall a' Choire Leith

Once I reached the summit cairn I met a couple of fellow walkers. One who had already completed the round and the other had bagged over a hundred! As this was my 5th & 6th I felt slightly in awe of these chaps! They even put up with my questions on the way back to the car park. One of them had an etrex gps gizmo and I immediately wanted one! The shopping list was getting bigger after every hill climbed.

13 Me at summit Cairn of Meal a'Choire Leith.JPG
Me in a daft pose at Meall a' Choire Leith's summit cairn

Although the walk wasn't the most inspiring and the weather far from ideal, it was still a day well spent.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Tenbob on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Re: 05 & 06 Meall Corranaich & Meall a'Choire Leith 19th July 09

Postby goldfishrock » Sun May 08, 2011 7:25 pm

Cracking report. I almost did this one on Wednesday but opted for Schiehallion instead. Shame on the weather, hope it didn't dampen the spirits too much :)
goldfishrock
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:1

Re: 05 & 06 Meall Corranaich & Meall a'Choire Leith 19th July 09

Postby Tenbob » Sun May 08, 2011 7:30 pm

Sometimes the bad weather walks are the best. Sometimes! This walk wasn't my worst, Ben Lomond with it's horizontal hailstones and torrential rain was a real test of will, determination, patience and madness :lol:
Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland