walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Ghaordaidh

Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby Stretch » Sun May 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Route description: Meall Ghaordaidh from Glen Lochay

Munros included on this walk: Meall Ghaordaidh

Date walked: 08/05/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 895m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having successfully squeezed a dry, 18 mile trek up Beinn Dearg on Saturday, I thought I might take a chance on getting another window of sun on Sunday despite the fairly poor forecast. Gable Gable End and I had discussed doing a walk on that one social networking site and somehow I convinced him that I had the power to part the rain clouds. First thing I had to do was delay the start of the walk, so I told him 11 instead of 9 - we would meet in Killin. I arrived in Killin about 30 minutes early after passing a pretty heavy shower back down the A82. But I could see things lightening up a bit so I thought we might be ok. GGE sent me a few texts along the way - one said I was a pig for dragging him away from the brighter east region :lol:. The next text said, 'I see a patch of blue sky'. I replied, 'have faith, in time all will be fine'. We set off from the layby around 11:30 with much brighter skies and bits of sun. It was really humid and the sweat was pouring up the first 1/4 of the route. The views back down the glen were fairly nice and I managed to snap a few pics - but - once we reached the last 1/4 of the way to the summit the clouds dropped down and a band of rain came flying in on us. On with my waterproofs, GGE had a jacket, but no waterproof trousers. 15 minutes later we were blasted by fierce wind and driving rain. At this point the poor guy had no faith in my ability to deliver sunshine. We spent all of 1 minute at the summit where the shelter around the cairn hardly shielded us from the elements. It was a tough initial descent until we dropped down below the cloud. The path had become really nasty after the shower passed too. Definitely a bog factor of 4 after a rain. Back at the car we chatted to another walker who came down just after us and we downed our sandwiches, not wanting them to go to waste. We stopped at the hotel by the Falls of Dochart for a pint and, lo and behold, the sunshine appeared. See pal, sunshine! Fantastic.

I guess I should have said let's start at 2pm, but I didn't think we would be capable of doing this in 3 hours. But we made short work of this hill and got back to the very warm fire in the hotel lounge. All in all it was a fun walk, in a twisted kind of fun way. Sadly my powers to deliver sunshine while ON the hill failed, but I'll keep working on my skills. :lol:

Only took 4 pics during our 3 hours up the hill. Out of my 130 munros to date, Meall Ghaordaidh and Ben Vane are the only 2 that I don't have a summit pic of.

Meall Ghaordaidh 001.JPG

Meall Ghaordaidh 002.JPG

Meall Ghaordaidh 003.JPG

Meall Ghaordaidh 004.JPG
Ruh Roh!!!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Meall Ghaordaidh

Postby gammy leg walker » Sun May 08, 2011 7:08 pm

Short & sharp report stretch,not just me that walks in the clag,will start weather watching about Wed and hope for the best
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun May 08, 2011 7:46 pm

good afternoon (well, 3 hours) on a boggy, but straightforward, lump.

I left the waterproof trousers in the car citing "lightweight wins"'......once the rain blasting came it was a bit of a "whoops" moment. Shame you didn't get a picture of the "rain" :shock:

Nice pint at the Falls of Dochart; would be a decent place to do a WalkHighlands takeover/meet......
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby rockhopper » Sun May 08, 2011 8:42 pm

:lol: I couldn't see anything at the top of that hill either....good excuse for a pint though :shock:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ChrisW » Sun May 08, 2011 8:52 pm

Good effort stretch, perhaps you are inheriting GLW's knack for the clag :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby walk aboot » Sun May 08, 2011 10:22 pm

Well done stretch and GGE for getting the job (hill) done in the rain :D .

I was out on my bike without waterproofs and enjoyed getting soaked 8) (mind you, that was only a wee jaunt to the local supermarket and back).
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby Scott69 » Sun May 08, 2011 11:50 pm

Have a summit pic then Stretch 8)
Photo127.jpg
Scott69
Munro compleatist

Munros:254   Corbetts:46
Fionas:8   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   

Postby Stretch » Mon May 09, 2011 12:10 am

Aaaarrgghh, I was telling Gable Gable End that this would be much better in winter and there is the proof! Cheers.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 09, 2011 12:18 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but then again, not necessarily......

Meall Ghaordaidh summit.JPG
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Jockstar » Tue May 10, 2011 12:38 pm

This must be the least number of photos , ever, from your camera, Stretch ! :lol: However I know the nice feeling of a pint or two at The Falls of Dockhart pub as myself and Mrs Jockstar enjoyed a whole afternoon there the other weekend after getting her up An Stuc ... Hic !! :D
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby monty » Tue May 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Nope Stretch its not better in winter. Definately not better in winter. Obviously not better in winter.......

Mind you I have been known to tell a fib or two..
Attachments
4.jpg
6.jpg
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland