walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cùl Mòr - a gem of a hill on a brilliant day

Cùl Mòr - a gem of a hill on a brilliant day

Postby DaveSan » Mon May 08, 2023 2:59 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Cùl Mòr

Date walked: 08/05/2023

Time taken: 4.7 hours

Distance: 14.1 km

Ascent: 795m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cul_Mor_a_gem_of_a_hill_on_a_brilliant_day.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Another fine day was in store as I emerged from my tent at Ardmair, had breakfast and drove the few miles north to the lay-by just beyond the Knockan Crag visitor centre. With the sun already blazing down out of a mostly clear blue sky, I set off at 7:30am along the good stalkers path and after 30 minutes of easy walking, turned off left at the marker cairn and headed up the broad, easy-angled slope that levelled off to the plateau directly in front of Cùl Mòr. Dropping down to the shallow dip between the two, I aimed to the right and across to a picturesque lochan at the foot of the NE ridge and spotted a well-worn path going up.
IMG_0278.jpeg
Lochan at foot of NE ridge

IMG_0280.jpeg
Looking across to Sròn Gharbh from halfway up NE ridge

This began easily but then became steeper until reaching a boulder-field. The rocks were mostly quite large and stable and made for an easy and safe ascent and I topped out with just a short grassy slope left to reach the summit cairn.
IMG_0285.jpeg
Suilven and Canisp from the summit

IMG_0282.jpeg
Zooming in on Suilven

After a short rest, I carried on along the west ridge and decided to go out along the spur of Sròn Gharbh as recommended in the WH route description – it looked a long way off but in fact took a mere 20 mins to reach and was worth it for the views of the lochan-spattered landscape.
IMG_0290.jpeg
Zooming in on Stac Pollaidh to the west

IMG_0292.jpeg
Looking back along Sròn Gharbh to Cùl Mòr

I then headed back and briefly down before going up the well-worn path to Creag nan Calman, the fang-shaped lower peak. That was also worth visiting as it gave tremendous views over to Cùl Beag and the many hills beyond.
IMG_0301.jpeg
Cùl Beag from Creag nan Calman

IMG_0302.jpeg
The view west from Creag nan Calman, Stac Pollaidh in the centre

An easy grassy descent took me back to the plateau below Cùl Mòr and the good paths back to the car, where I stopped for lunch before heading to Cùl Beag.
DaveSan
Mountain Walker

Munros:38   Corbetts:222
Fionas:11   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:66
Wainwrights:37   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland