walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Saddle from the west

The Saddle from the west

Postby bigbertie » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:09 pm

Munros included on this walk: The Saddle

Date walked: 16/12/2009

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

26 May - it had been a horribly wet night in the Shiel Bridge campsite and the forecast was for heavy showers, falling as snow on the higher tops, so we decided to settle for the Corbet Sgurr Mhic Bharraich. But as we walked up the Allt Undalain from the campsite the rain had stopped and a sudden urge to do the Saddle gripped me.

100_0010 web.jpg
Up the Allt Undalain - Sgurr na Creige ahead

We turned up the Allt a Coire Uaine, where we were hit by the first of several hail showers, but we were committed now - no turning back. Coire Uaine is quite a dramatic coire (or it is in hail and mist!) with a high lochan nestling at the top and the Saddle looming above.

100_0015 web.jpg
Loch a Coire Uaine

At the lochain we headed up towards Spidean Dhomhuill Bhric on the Saddle's west ridge. The ascent started pleasantly enough but got steadily steeper towards the top. Another hail shower refreshed us on the way up!

100_0016 web.jpg
Starting up towards the west ridge.

On the ridge we turned east towards the Saddle - the ridge was a series of rocky bumps providing an excellent high level walk, with the Saddle looking gloomy ahead in swirling mist. The promised snow shower arrived as well but fortunately didn't last long.

100_0021 web.jpg
Towards the Saddle (1)

100_0024 web.jpg
Towards the Saddle (2)

We decided to continue down the Forcan Ridge. I have ascended this in the past and I think that is the better way to do it. On the descent it is more difficult to see the best route down the crest and several times we dropped down onto the path on the west side when it would have been preferable to stay on the crest. However you do get a better view of the steep step at the top, and I was able to climb this by the best line. The cloud had now cleared enough for some views of the Five Sisters.

100_0028 web.jpg
The Five Sisters from Sgurr na Forcan

100_0030 web.jpg
Down the Forcan ridge

I had hoped to return to the campsite down Coir Chaoil, but the ground looked so waterlogged that we followed the path down to the main road, where another very kind walker gave me a lift to the campsite to fetch the car. Maybe next time a complete horseshoe of Coire Uaine?
Last edited by bigbertie on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bigbertie

Re: The Saddle from the west

Postby John Burgess » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi Bertie,

Thanks for the report. We were on Sgurr nan Lochan Uaine and Sgurr Dubh on the South side of Glen Torridon that day enjoying the same 'changeable' weather :lol:

I can see why you were tempted by that side of the Saddle. We were heading home the following Sunday but had time to nip up Sgurr Mhic Bharraich on the way. I decided there and then that I would have to come back and climb the Saddle from that direction.

saddle.jpg
The Saddle from Sgurr Mhic Bharraich

All the best,

John
John Burgess

Munros:282   Corbetts:144
Fionas:78   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Paul Webster » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:13 pm

Ditto - we put this one on our list when on Sgurr Mhic Bharraich as well. Some atmospheric shots - just like the weather we got last week on Sgurr na Feartaig and Beinn Tharsuinn - like the one with two of you heading along the narrow ridge in the mist.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby canisp » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:07 pm

Love the middle shot with the peaks disappearing into the mist.
canisp

Munros:281   Corbetts:191
Fionas:28   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:195
Wainwrights:213   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland