walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meallach Mhor

Meallach Mhor

Postby Ian Johnston » Tue May 10, 2011 11:43 am

Route description: Meallach Mhòr and Croidh-la, Glen Tromie

Corbetts included on this walk: Meallach Mhòr

Date walked: 04/05/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 25 km

Ascent: 710m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A nice short day above Glen Tromie with really fine views.

Parking around Druimguish needs care - there is space for about 5 cars just off the road in the woods, but parking in the hamlet itself would be less easy and intrusive. Druimguish is also a reasonably well used start point for D of E groups (I've assessed several starting or finishing here).

I used a bike to get up Glen Tromie as far as NN766937, where clumps of junipers at the south end of an area of flat ground are a useful place to leave it. The cycling element was about 12 km.

The view to the upper glen is dominated by Mullach coire nan Dearcag ([i]summit of the corrie of little berries[i]). Striking uphill from this point, a faint Argo track can be followed to a point where it crosses the burn draining the Coire Bealach. From this point, any line up the broad flank of Meallach Bheag gets you to this summit with a good view of the hill ahead.

A short walk SE across the bealach followed by an easy climb and you're at the summit of Meallach Mhor.

The hill itself isn't much to look at, but it has a very wide view. Creag Meagaidh is prominent to the west, the window and the Post Face were both clearly visible.

Futher to the south west, there's a good view to the central highlands - Ben Alder down to the Grey Corries.

While to the south, probably the best view of the Gaick Pass and Loch an't Seilich that you can get.

I followed the ridge back north over Clach-Mheall (the only stones on a heathery ridge!) to Croidh-La. This takes about an hour, but is very well worth it. I did this walk in the driest weather there's been for years, but in more usual conditions the ground would be initially boggy, but improves on the way to Clach-Mheall and gets to be easy over short heather.

The view of the Spey valley from Croidh-La is very fine, and you can look straight across to Kingussie and Newtonmore with the Monadhliath beyond. I headed back south west from here to return to the bike, but if you're on foot the logical route would be to continue north down the north ridge of Croidh-La.

I don't recall seeing so much Cloudberry in flower as i did on this hill, perhaps the dry Spring weather suits it? Other wildlife included a lizard scurrying across my boots, and an Osprey fishing the Spey near to Druimguish.

It's worth taking time on the way back down Glen Tromie. The name is an anglisication of the Gaelic [i]Glen of the Elder trees[i], an indication that it is really nicely wooded. As well as Elders, there is a mix of Oak, Rowan, Juniper, Birch, Willow and a few Beeches in the lower glen.

A hill which I'm guessing isn't climbed that often, but a really good viewpoint and a pleasant day.

Ian

http://mountainandseascotland.blogspot.com/
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Re: Meallach Mhor

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue May 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Nice report on an area I enjoy :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: Meallach Mhor

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 10, 2011 8:32 pm

good stuff Ian, looks like my kind of place (rolling hills and heather) and best of all away from the masses :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland