walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Hunt Hill - along the ridges

Hunt Hill - along the ridges

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 10, 2011 3:55 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Hunt Hill

Date walked: 10/05/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 21 km

Ascent: 1058m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had my eye on Hunt hill for a while now, with showers threatening for later in the day I thought I'd get this done and avoid making a bigger climb only to be clagged in when I got there....where's the fun in that?

So bags packed and down to the car park at Invermark wondering what the day might deliver. I change into my boots and have a quick chat with a hill runner before setting off into beautiful blue skies.Image

I keep left at the junction (its right for Mount Keen) and head off down the black top

in a very short time I come to Invermark Castle and try to get a look in, turns out it is closed up securely :( Image

the road continues past the castle and into a short section beside the river with dappled shade provided by the trees lining the road.

then I get my first view of Glen Lee and am overtaken by a pair of walkers as I click away with the cameraImage

a little further now and I can look across loch Lee at a panorama of the beautiful glen Image

the ruins of the old church must be one of the most beautiful burial locations I have ever seen

there is a nice breeze blowing across the loch providing a continuous flow of cool fresh airImage

further on I almost walk by the small boathouse without seeing it, tucked away as it is into the bankingImage

then it is decision time as I reach the junction that takes you south, to ascend via the Shank of Inchgrundle but looking ahead I suspect some great views are lurking around the corner so continue west alongside the water of leeImage

around the corner Craig Maskeldie dominates the skyline to the south of the track, but directly ahead is my point of interest, if I can get up onto that ridge I could get some great shots down the glen.....Image

as I make my way along adjacent to Craig Maskeldie a hint of dark sky blows over, now I'm thinking I need to get a move on before it blows my chances of a good pic or twoImage

there is a small footbridge to take you over the water of lee and round toward the Falls of Damff but I elect to take the track north in order to ascend the ridge from the far endImage

Craig Maskeldie looks stunning across the glen with the water of lee bouncing through the rocks beneath my feetImage

further north I can see the lee plantation marked on the map and that is where I intend to cross and make my ascentImage

once at the plantation there are plenty of stepping stones to go at and even with a reasonable amount of water due to recent rains the crossing is easy and I stay dryImage

It is a steep ascent with no path and really works the legs as I scramble around to 'Dog Hillocks'

from here the teasing view of Craig Maskeldie is almost enough to make me run over there before the dark clouds kill it but the effort needed to ascend has reduced the likelihood of a run from very unlikely to absolutely no chance :lol: Image

so I walk up to 'Bruntwood Crag' and look over, and even with the cloud it was sooooooo worth itImage

I sit a while having a drink and a snack watching the clouds roll overhead and stealing a few more picsImage

once I could bring myself to move away from that stunning spot I hugged the edge of the ridge round to 'Earn Craig' where I could see all the way down the glen to Loch Lee

eventually I had to pull myself away from the ridge and head inward toward the summit, there were a few hags to hop but nothing too serious, away in the distance Mount Keen is still clag free as are all the summits visible across the horizon

once I do reach the summit it is not the most impressive cairn I have ever seen, but took the obligatory 'evidence' shot, the long sleeves are there because on my epic coastal wander last week I got sunburned on my arms :wtf: that has never happened to me before and I'm still paying the price

looking north to mount keenImage

looking south to.....oh my god... :lol:

to the west - it would appear I am surrounded

I spend no time at all at the summit, I don the waterproof gear, and head east toward ridge hoping to spot a shorter descent, there isn't one (unless falling a long way is your thing) so I opt for the southerly trek toward the foot bridge shown on the map just south of the falls

I get a nice cooling shower en route to the bridge but get there pretty quick due to the head down / downhill combination

with a small break in the cloud I take the opportunity to sit and have a bite to eat and a lovely hot cuppa at the bridge, then the heavens opened again and I packed the bag and headed across the bridge and up toward Craig Maskeldie. The rain hammered down for the entire ascent and gusts almost took me off my feet. I spotted some cover in Smiths Gutter beneath a perfect overhang and crossed over there and tucked myself in, so much so that I could undo the wet gear and have a cuppa in peace out of the cold rain. I stayed about 20 minutes before the rain stopped and I headed off toward the Shank of Inchgrundle via Cairn Lick....I'm so glad I sat under cover for a while or I would have missed this...

as I reach the top of the shank and a track (the first I've seen since my ascent from the plantation) I am treated to a spectacular view across the entire glen including a distant rainbow.

A last look across the glen over carlochy before starting the decent

behind me I see another belt of black approaching, I grab a last shot to show the final part of the route - the track (bottom left) leads from the Shank of Inchgrundle back across the western end of Loch Lee and returns you to the original 'walk in' route which is retraced back to the car park.Image

The walk back from here was a long one on a hard road, after 12.5 miles and an ascent of 1058 metres my feet were feeling it and I was glad when I finally reached the car,but I'll be back, as this is a beautiful spot and I like the look of the hills west of the loch for a short wander with MrsW.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Hunt Hill - along the ridges

Postby BlackPanther » Tue May 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Lovely wee hill - another one I didn't even know existed :lol: And not that far away from Inverness. I have to explore it at some point.
The "moody clouds" pictures are great. Made me think the nature was angry for some reason :shock: .
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Del246 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Great pics and report. Well done.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby kinley » Tue May 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Thought you might make an attractive TR out of this one - not disappointed either.

Cracking area - we did a very similar route a few years back.

IainG did a cracker of a report when the heather was in full bloom - think we might revisit then one year.

Cheers - lovely report. 8)
kinley

Postby Ian Johnston » Tue May 10, 2011 5:59 pm

What a great walk and report - super photos too!

Regards

Ian

http://mountainandseascotland.blogspot.com/
Ian Johnston

Munros:282   Corbetts:72
Fionas:20   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:128
Wainwrights:118   Islands:64

Postby malky_c » Tue May 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Great photos. Really like this area, and looks like you made the most of it with your route choice (I haven't been over Carlochy yet - great reason to go back). Nice moody shots of the approaching shower too 8)
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby houdi » Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Another brilliant report as usual, Chris. As ever I am totally jealous of your superb photos. Not familiar with this area at all but it looks stunning. Top stuff.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 10, 2011 6:30 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Lovely wee hill - another one I didn't even know existed :lol: And not that far away from Inverness. I have to explore it at some point.
The "moody clouds" pictures are great. Made me think the nature was angry for some reason :shock: .

thanks BP - its a cracking little hill that, the walk in might be better done on a MTB though, save the feet the road
pounding :wink:

by Del246 on Tue May 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Great pics and report. Well done.

thanks Del :D

by kinley on Tue May 10, 2011 5:46 pm

Thought you might make an attractive TR out of this one - not disappointed either.

Cracking area - we did a very similar route a few years back.

IainG did a cracker of a report when the heather was in full bloom - think we might revisit then one year.

Cheers - lovely report.

Thanks kinley, I looked at your report when planning this, that's where the idea of the ridge wander came from, so cheers for sewing the seeds that led to this little cracker :thumbup:

by Ian Johnston on Tue May 10, 2011 5:59 pm

What a great walk and report - super photos too!

Regards

Ian

thanks Ian - hard to take a bad pic down there.....except when its raining :wink: ( I left those out) :lol:

by malky_c on Tue May 10, 2011 6:10 pm

Great photos. Really like this area, and looks like you made the most of it with your route choice (I haven't been over Carlochy yet - great reason to go back). Nice moody shots of the approaching shower too

cheers malky, there are some great views from Carlochy side but the view of Craig Maskeldie from the ridge opposite takes some beating :D

by houdi on Tue May 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Another brilliant report as usual, Chris. As ever I am totally jealous of your superb photos. Not familiar with this area at all but it looks stunning. Top stuff.

thanks houdi, it is a beautiful little spot, nice walk to Mount Keen from the same car park....long but nice :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Merry-walker » Tue May 10, 2011 6:49 pm

Great report and amazing pictures. The views looked splendid, even on a showery day. Your leggy seems to be holding it's own - long may it continue :)
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue May 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Another great report there Chris, with some stunning photography :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 10, 2011 10:33 pm

Merry-walker wrote:Great report and amazing pictures. The views looked splendid, even on a showery day. Your leggy seems to be holding it's own - long may it continue :)

thanks MW some real cracking views over there, I loved it. As for the old leg ...... getting stronger every day :thumbup:

by Johnny Corbett on Tue May 10, 2011 10:16 pm

Another great report there Chris, with some stunning photography

thanks JC - its easy to get good pics with views like those :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Postby Fudgie » Wed May 11, 2011 2:21 pm

Fantastic images and it looks like you got decent weather for it. Do you use a DSLR? I take mine with me but it weighs a ton and I'm always worried about getting it wet.
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby Alastair S » Wed May 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Top draw stuff again Chris :thumbup: Been meaning to do this one for a while but so far both my visits to Loch Lee have been in poor weather so didn't bother getting up high.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby ChrisW » Wed May 11, 2011 7:18 pm

Fudgie wrote:Fantastic images and it looks like you got decent weather for it. Do you use a DSLR? I take mine with me but it weighs a ton and I'm always worried about getting it wet.

Thanks Fudgie, I do use a DSLR but have a holster for it so I wear it on my belt (like a 6 gun) only I'm not to quick on the draw :lol: If it rains hard (like it did this walk) I just put it in my rucksack till the rain is over.

by Alastair S on Wed May 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Top draw stuff again Chris Been meaning to do this one for a while but so far both my visits to Loch Lee have been in poor weather so didn't bother getting up high.

Thanks Alastair - this one was in bad weather every now and again :lol: but only showers so I still got the views, cracking place though, would like to go back at some point.
ChrisW
Rambler

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland