walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Man pride Vs The Weather !!

Man pride Vs The Weather !!

Postby Del246 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Route description: Tinto from the north

Fionas included on this walk: Tinto

Donalds included on this walk: Tinto

Date walked: 10/05/2011

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 486m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After my weekend trip to the Black Mount to do Stob Ghabhar and Stob a` Choire Odhair was cancelled due to the weather I have been having withdrawal symptoms to get back out.

So having only a few hours to spare today I headed down to Tinto so that I could tick it off my list. The weather report was not great but I could live with some heavy showers, couldnt I ?

I set off from the carpark ( I get the feeling this could be a bit busy at weekends ) just after 10 and followed the very easy pathway.

DSC01267.JPG
Setting off.

It wasnt long before the rain started. But I mistakenly thought it would just be a passing shower !!
It was soon high winds vertical rain and then the mist came down.

DSC01270.JPG
Who`s idea was this ??

This was where the silly man pride kicked in !! If I had been doing a Munro or Corbett I think I would turned round and left the hill for another day. But could I let a small hill beat me ?? Silly boy that I am I continued on.
After about 1 hour 20 or so I was on the summit. Well I wasnt hanging about today !! I could hardly keep my balance. Blowing a gale and the rain was coming down in sheets !!

DSC01272.JPG
Trying to keep my balance !!

Just time for a quick picture at the cairn as my camera is not waterproof !!

DSC01274.JPG
Cairn

Ithen quickly made my way back down and I noticed this as the rain started to lighten up. Any ideas ??

DSC01282.JPG
?????

And guess what ? The rain then stopped and the sun had the cheek to come out. Just after I was soaked to the skin !!

DSC01284.JPG
The sun making an appearance !!

Back at the car I think I learned an important lesson. Next time I go hill walking im leaving the man pride in the car. No matter what size of hill im doing !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Man pride Vs The Weather !!

Postby houdi » Tue May 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Tinto in the rain? You must be a bit of a masochist, Del as it's hardly much fun even in good weather. One thing for sure you didn't miss out on much as there's precious little to see even on a sunny day. Like you, I did Tinto to tick it off my list. I haven't a clue what that crazy stuff is on the side of the hill. It wasn't there when I did it last year. Still, it's good to get out on the hills (even Tinto) and, hopefully, you'll get a decent dry one next time.
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 10, 2011 8:11 pm

Good effort on a bad day Del, I'm only guessing here but could that pattern be fire retardant sprayed to prevent spreading and then controlled burn of the heather in the 'safe' areas....... either that or aliens :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby houdi » Tue May 10, 2011 8:15 pm

I'll go with aliens. The fire retardant spray thing sounds way too far fetched :lol:
houdi
Rambler

Munros:93   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:74
Wainwrights:48   

Postby SouthernUplandKing » Sat May 14, 2011 5:59 pm

Been up Tinto In those conditions before. Infact the past 2 times Ive been up there has been a cloud of snow, rain, hail, sleet and 30mph winds :lol: Great fun though and it toughens you up for pushing on when your higher, up North. I tend to do it from the west side up Lock Lyock hill to the Trig and over the fence to the Cairn :) Heres a few pictures...

Cloud lingering at about 600m

Me up top.
SouthernUplandKing
Munro compleatist

Postby AileenEnglishTutor » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:51 pm

Today it was a case of Woman Pride v. weather! An hour and a half to get up due to the sheer force of the wind and rain in my face for the full 480m, or so! No views either.
Attachments
Tinto Hill.jpg
AileenEnglishTutor
Mountain Walker

Munros:4   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:02 am

AileenEnglishTutor wrote:Today it was a case of Woman Pride v. weather! An hour and a half to get up due to the sheer force of the wind and rain in my face for the full 480m, or so! No views either.

Yeeaaaaaaaah!

(Love the pic!)
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland