walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Bhan - white hill on a blue sky day

Beinn Bhan - white hill on a blue sky day

Postby Auld Bagger » Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:47 pm

Route description: Beinn Bhan, near Kishorn

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhan

Date walked: 03/06/2023

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 995m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I left home at 5.30am and drove for just under 4.5 hours to the north west towards Kishorn for corbett Beinn Bhan. I had planned on getting a wee caffeine boast at the nearby cafe that I had visited before, which I can highly recommend but when I arrived it was closed. It opens at 10am but only on a Tuesday to Friday. I was 1 day late. Anyway I parked the car at the layby before the bridge and set off up the Beallach na Ba stopping frequently to allow traffic to pass. After just over a mile, and between the second and third passing place after the very informative public notice I left the road. I thought it does seem a pity that not many people will read this notice as they drive past as it does contain very useful information.
GHAI3367.jpg

P6033338.JPG

P6033339.JPG

Initially there is a feint path to follow which soon disappears and as you approach some rocky outcrops which are easily passed through without any difficulties. As height is gained the views behind improve.
GHAL3370.jpg

However the best of the views lay ahead on the right hand side. The profile of the hill is similar to Ben Nevis in that it looks like the back of a hand. On one side you have the slopes up to the ridge from Coire nan Arr like the wrist of a hand but then on the opposite side you have ridges and deep corries a bit like the fingers of a hand. Although this hill would only have three fingers: A'Chioch, A' Phoit and Sron Coire am Fhamhair!
The first finger comes into view - A Chioch
GHAS3377.jpg

The view back of the walk taken is also mighty impressive.
GHAZ3385.jpg

Another view of A Chioch with the munros in The Coulags and Torridon in the background.
GHBA3386-1.jpg

And one from the top of A' Chioch
GHBB3387.jpg

Another look back at where I have walked from.
GHBB3387-1.jpg

After taking the ridge line to the summit the views are not as dramatic due the plateau. A summit selfie with the Isle of Skye in the distance.
P6033356.JPG

It wasn't long before I was back on the ridge admiring the views, this time down Coire na Poite.
GHBI3394.jpg

I continued the walk cutting inland for a short section before rejoining the ridge line toward Sron Coire am Fhamhair. Just before the Loch na Beinne Baine there is a steep grass slope down to floor of Coir an Fhamhair. This can be seen in the following photo taken from the ridge. There are difficulties if you leave the ridge too early or too late. It is obvious once you arrive at the correct place to start the descent although I would not like to attempt this if the ground was covered in snow.
GHBJ3395.jpg

The start of the descent is very steep and is not helped with some loose stones. However there is a good grass rib to aim for. Eventually a feint path is picked up as the gradient eases. A view back up the grass slope.
GHBR3403.jpg

Once the floor of the corrie is reached you head towards the ground between the two lochans. With the recent hot weather the ground was relatively dry although there were still some patches of bog to negotiate. The view back of Beinn Bhan from Lochan Coire na Poite is stunning.
GHBV3407.jpg

I picked up a path for the descent to the track back to the car and then lost it again. However it wasn't too long till I was back on a path and heading to the track. A great day out.
Auld Bagger
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:172
Fionas:7   Donalds:16
Islands:3

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland