walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Another Jammy Sandwich Morning up Sgiath a Chaise

Another Jammy Sandwich Morning up Sgiath a Chaise

Postby Inyergub » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:49 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Sgiath a' Chaise

Date walked: 10/06/2023

Time taken: 2.2 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 650m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to head back to the Trossachs to climb another wee hill early doors to avoid the heat and traffic. Ended up tackling Sgiath a Chaise after spying it from Beinn Each last Sunday.

I left the car and started at a layby at Loch Lubnaig near Ardchullarie More then headed up through the forest. Previous reviews suggest lots of broken tree trunks but as you can see from the below it's fine.

forest.jpg
Walking up through the forest

From here its about a mile on a dirt track passing the sign that takes you up to Beinn Each. Once passing a small cluster of trees take a left then it's a very steep climb up following the dry stone wall. I was really surprised how steep this was and made harder as no real natural track.

wall section.jpg
The steep section where you follow the wall and head straight up

Once you reach the top of the steep section (Creag a Mhadaidh) take right then it's a rather more gentle walk to the submit of Sgiath a Chaise. This part was still a big boggy in parts even after 2 weeks of dry weather so can only imagine what it's like after rain so maybe a good summer walk on a dry day.

the top.jpg
Looking up to the summit

At the summit there is no natural cairn but some great views in all directions.

As I headed back down the way I came I stopped and had a well deserved jammy sandwich overlooking Beinn Each with the sun shining.

Beinn Each.jpg
Looking over to Beinn Each

I'm glad I brought my poles as it really did help when heading down the steep section and once back on the gravel track I looked back to take in what I just climbed (below).

looking up.jpg
Looking back up the Fiona

Then it was back to the car and home for lunch. Oh and didn't see a single person all morning. In summary a nice wee hill worth doing on a dry day but would avoid after heavy rain unless you like walking in boggy ground.
Inyergub
Walker

Munros:16   Corbetts:5
Fionas:11   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:22   
Islands:13

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland