walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Morvern

Morvern

Postby bigdek2 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:48 pm

Route description: Morven, from near Logie Coldstone

Corbetts included on this walk: Morven

Date walked: 12/05/2011

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 680m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walked the route contained in the web page report. The ascent as per the route takes the direct approach which is just that, it is fairly steep and definitely is worthy of its 3 boot status. The path upward is easy to follow and the views on the ascent are excellent. There are two considerable cairn points on the upper stretch and when you get to the top there is a further large cairn although not as large as the lower two - again the view is awesome, there is a wind shelter of sorts and I was glad of it as it was extremely windy. The return route follows the upward approach past the three cairns and then branches of onto another smaller path. This path leads to stony track around 12 feet wide - I thought this spoiled this part of the decent a little. After this small "road" the path round and down became mush less distinct and I had to retrace to find it (if it was not for the SATMAP I dare say I would have missed the path and gone further before tracking back). Once back on the correct small path it was relatively easy but on several parts it again becomes much less distinguishable. The views down are great and it was for this reason I gave the hill a rating of 4. A tough hike but the usual buzz at the summit and on completion. I recommend this walk for those up for harder hill walk.
bigdek2
Scrambler

Munros:3   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:5   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland