walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Newlyweds on Honeymoon: From Norway to The Pap

Newlyweds on Honeymoon: From Norway to The Pap

Postby HighlandSC » Fri May 13, 2011 9:47 pm

Route description: The Pap of Glencoe

Fionas included on this walk: Pap of Glencoe

Date walked: 07/03/2011

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 725m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walk Highlands is a great site- full of brilliant information and people who love the outdoors. It's allowed many of us to speak and meet up with some great people. Many have forged some fantastic friendships thanks to being in touch with likeminded folks from here.

I consider myself the lucky one- as well as the above.... I'll always consider WH the place were I first spoke with the woman who'd become my wife :D

I'll spare you all a love story... but we met in 2009 after speaking on here and agreeing to meet for some walking. Michelle is American and lives over there but has regularly visited Scotland over the years. One thing led to another.....and we've both travelled back and forth between Scotland and US since......and in February this year we got married here in Scotland :D

In early 2012 I'll be moving to America (we remain apart awaiting my Visa, etc), and we have longer term plans to eventually move back to Scotland.

Michelle was here for nearly a month around the wedding. We spent a few days in Norway and the rest touring Scotland visiting family and out walking here and there (Glencoe, Isle of Mull, Glen Affric).

A few Norway pics: [Edit: Norway trip report now here]

Bryggen (UNESCO World Heritage Site in City of Bergen, West Norway)

Fjords:

=============================================================================

After getting back from Norway we made a brief visit to family in Lockberbie. From there we headed up the road for a couple of nights in Ballachulish/Glencoe before going on to the Isle of Mull. Michelle has stayed at the same B&B in Ballachulish on her visits and always made a pilgrimage up to the Pap when in Scotland - it's a special hill for her, and today we'd be walking it together as husband and wife :)

Date - Mon 7 Mar 2011
Hill - The Pap of Glencoe
Route - Standard approach from Glencoe Village, ascending by path. Took on a short section of easy optional scrambling on final rocky section to summit. Returned by a more direct line straight down the hillside to rejoin original path.
Weather - A bit dull but the cloud stayed above (just) and the rain missed us!
People - Me / Michelle
Time - 4.5 hours
Distance - 6.6km
Ascent - 725m

Pap of Glencoe (Route GPX 7 March 2011).gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Eyeing up the Pap from our B&B breakfast table, hoping the cloud wouldn't come down any more!

On the way to park in Glencoe village

We walked along the road a little before turning off toward the Pap, initally on the forest track before striking off on to the soggy path across the hillside

Deer soon spotted us

Then legged it

It's a steep push up, eventually easing a bit as you approach the summit dome

A very atmospheric Glen Coe

Approaching the dome

Loch Leven

There is a loose rocky path that winds its way up the dome to the summit

Always keen to get hands on rock, we opted to take a direct line scrambling to the top

Michelle scrambling

Summit (I must add- Michelle has a huge rucksack on!- she was testing out a new camping sack today)

Glencoe & Ballachulish

Summit shelter

Summit cairn

Fighter jet over Loch Leven

Descending the dome

Glencoe & Ballachulish

Descent

Rockfall!

Glencoe Village green stream

Refuelling - Post-hillwalk treats! Bacon rolls and cake at Crafts & Things in Ballachulish always goes down a treat :)

Next stop- Isle of Mull!
:D
Last edited by HighlandSC on Wed May 25, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Newlyweds on Honeymoon: From Norway to The Pap

Postby Valerie » Fri May 13, 2011 10:24 pm

What a lovely story and some great pics too :D We have a photo of the Pap that was given to us as a wedding present and I've always wanted to climb it. We hoped to get to the top as we came off the AE a few weeks ago but we were shattered and focused on the clachaig for a wee refreshment instead :lol:
Valerie
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:59
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:92
Wainwrights:191   Islands:16

Postby Graeme D » Fri May 13, 2011 10:35 pm

Ahhhh - the power of Walkhighlands! 8) Congratulations to you both and best wishes for your future together. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get to walk with you both one day. :D
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby HighlandSC » Fri May 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Beanierocks wrote:What a lovely story and some great pics too :D We have a photo of the Pap that was given to us as a wedding present and I've always wanted to climb it. We hoped to get to the top as we came off the AE a few weeks ago but we were shattered and focused on the clachaig for a wee refreshment instead :lol:

Cheers. I've heard accounts of people tagging the Pap on to the AE- sounds a great idea- but at the time I'm sure the Clachaig sounds a lot better!

Graeme Dewar wrote:Ahhhh - the power of Walkhighlands! 8) Congratulations to you both and best wishes for your future together. Maybe I'll be lucky enough to get to walk with you both one day. :D

Thanks Graeme :D Same to you, Debbie & Ailsa. It'd be great to get out with you guys sometime :)
HighlandSC

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri May 13, 2011 11:03 pm

Paul should charge you both some sort of finders fee :lol: .

I think I put my missus off hillwalking a few years ago after a wet and views-free walk up Ben Vrackie. She now only does low level and short walks. There are only so many bl00dy waterfalls a guy can look at :lol: .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Michelle » Fri May 13, 2011 11:39 pm

We should have pinned Walkhighlands badges on our wedding attire... why didn't we think of that?? :lol:

This is my special little hill, so it was great that it was our first hill together as a married couple. The pap always made a good leg stretcher after stumbling off the overnight flight into Glasgow in the morning not having gotten any sleep during the night, then sitting driving up to Glencoe by the afternoon- I'd have just enough energy left in me to wander up the hill and back before crashing in bed and sleeping for 15 hours!

Haven't done that lately though... I seem to keep ending up in Inverness rather than Glencoe! :)
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Postby rockhopper » Fri May 13, 2011 11:44 pm

Michelle wrote:We should have pinned Walkhighlands badges on our wedding attire... why didn't we think of that?? :lol:
:lol: suppose the badge could've been the ".....something blue" :lol:

But seriously, congratulations and awra best for the future :clap:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby HighlandSC » Fri May 13, 2011 11:45 pm

Michelle wrote:We should have pinned Walkhighlands badges on our wedding attire... why didn't we think of that?? :lol:

That's a good point! I'm sure I did try and offer something like that to Paul if he paid for the wedding- I don't recall getting a response though :lol: :lol:
But seriously Paul, we owe you and Helen a drink or three!
HighlandSC

Postby IainG » Sat May 14, 2011 7:07 am

Congratulations! What an incredible story!! Who'd have thought a forum on a walking site could have led to a wedding!!.

Trip Report of the month, Paul :D :D :D
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby morag1 » Sat May 14, 2011 9:20 am

What a great story :D

Congratulations to you both and i wish you many happy years of walking together :wave:
morag1

Postby ChrisW » Sat May 14, 2011 10:17 am

Fantastic stuff HSC & Michelle - Congratulations to you both. Love the shots of Norway and particularly the atmospheric Glen Coe - I'm sure you will have a great time in the USA as it really is an outdoor lovers paradise (as you know), hope we will be seeing TR's a plenty :lol:

I wish you a wonderful, long, healthy, happy married life :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby monty » Sat May 14, 2011 10:28 am

What a beautiful story. All the best to the both of you Scot and Michelle. :D
monty

Postby NevJB » Sat May 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Congratulations - great story and pics. My wife is from PA ................. 35 years this August :D We wish you both a long and happy marriage :D :D :D
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Postby HighlandSC » Sat May 14, 2011 8:48 pm

Thanks all :D :D :D :thumbup:
HighlandSC

Postby KGBMC » Sat May 14, 2011 9:08 pm

" Aw the Best "
Long Mae yir Lum Reek, wi ither folks coal
KGBMC
Hill Bagger

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland