walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Isle of Mull - Tobermory & Crater Lake (Lochans Airde Beinn)

Isle of Mull - Tobermory & Crater Lake (Lochans Airde Beinn)

Postby HighlandSC » Sun May 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Route description: Crater Loch: Lochan 'S Airde Beinn

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: S Airde Beinn

Date walked: 09/03/2011

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 2.8 km

Ascent: 140m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Wed 09/03/2011
Title - Isle of Mull - Tobermory & Crater Lake (Lochan's Airde Beinn) [Extinct volcano]
Hills - S Airde Beinn
Route - There and back from layby on B8073 next to ruined house
Weather - Changing by the minute from sunny to snow flurries
People - Me / Michelle
Time - 1h
Distance - 2.8km
Ascent - 140m
Max Altitude - 295m

Crater Lake (Mull 09-03-2011) Route GPX 2.8km.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The weather was moving fast today. Looking out the B&B window it was snowing one minute

Bright the next

Tobermory

Pano- click to view large (not well stitched together- cloud and light changing so fast!)

We drove a couple of miles SW of Tobermory and parked in the small layby next to the ruined house. After waiting in the car for another snow flurry to pass over we were on our way.

Approaching S Airde Beinn (Crater Lake)

The paths a bit boggy but it's all avoidable and easy going. There's a short steep push to get up onto the hill proper.

Arriving at Crater Lake - this is an extinct volcano crater, and one of many remants from Mull's volcanic past (60 million years ago)

Zooming South to Ben More getting obscured by a passing storm. One of another couple staying at our B&B was heading up there this morning- it didn't look nice!

There's 3 tops that surround the crater. There's not much difference and you barely notice much up and down, but the W top is the summit for S Airde Beinn. We had no idea of this at the time, but walking a circuit round the crater you go over all the tops.

Looking back at the descent from the summit

Wall at N end going right down to lochan

Looking down to Tobermory from cairn on N top

N to Ardnamurchan Point/Corrachadh Mòr - most westerly point on British mainland

Looking W, just able to make out Coll

Crater Lake

After walking round the rim of the crater the return path drops down and skirts around the E side of the hill, before rejoining the approach path and returning to the start.

Ruinded house next to road, opposite Loch Meadhoin
==============================================================================
Afterwards we went back into Tobermory to treat ourselves to a stash of quality hand made chocolate from the Tobermory Chocolate Shop before making our way to the ferry at Fisnish.

Stopped at Aros Park Falls as we left Tobermory

And arrived in perfect time to drive straight on the ferry and began our journey back to Inverness

:D

More pics in flickr set
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Isle of Mull - Tobermory & Crater Lake (Lochans Airde Beinn)

Postby malky_c » Tue May 17, 2011 7:50 am

What a change - this was only a week after I was on Mull. Had planned to do this walk as my site visit took me up to Loch Peallach, which is just at the foot of it. Ran out of time though unfortunately.

Looks like you had an interestingly varied honeymoon anyway - is there more to come? You didn't miss much on Cairngorm though :lol:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby HighlandSC » Tue May 17, 2011 10:00 am

Shame you couldn't walk it- it could be done in 15 mins I think!

Only thing I've not put up yet is a wander around Dog Falls with a small circuit in Glen Affric. We did manage to get about a bit :D
Watching the Cairn Gorm video was quite enough :lol:
HighlandSC

Postby Graeme D » Tue May 17, 2011 3:52 pm

Great stuff Scott - I've thoroughly enjoyed your recent wee flurry of reports. Just one question though - are you sure the first two photos are even from the same year, let alone the same day???? :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 17, 2011 8:19 pm

I'm with Graeme on those first two pics :wtf: love your shot of Tobermory though. Later on there seems to be snow/sleet cover on the ground again, gotta love the weather here....that or sit weeping gently into your coffee :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby HighlandSC » Tue May 17, 2011 8:47 pm

Graeme Dewar wrote:are you sure the first two photos are even from the same year, let alone the same day???? :shock:
ChrisW wrote:I'm with Graeme on those first two pics :wtf:

:lol: Try 10 mins apart! It was an interesting day- don't think I've ever seen weather fronts come and go so quickly. Overall we done very well really 8)
HighlandSC

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland