walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgiath a' Chaise

Sgiath a' Chaise

Postby Yorjick » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:28 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Sgiath a' Chaise

Date walked: 19/07/2023

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 593m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had almost been to the summit of this hill when running the Stuc a' Chroin Hill race in 2000 but the route cuts through between Creag a'Mhadaidh and Meall Mor before dropping down to Glen Ample and across to Beinn Each. This is by no means the most popular route for hillwalkers but it was my preferred route. In reality, I did not keep to the route but took a more direct route missing the southern detour to Tom na Moine. This was mostly pleasant though I had to cut across a small pathless section before climbing over the deer fence north of Meall More.

Sgiath copy.jpg

IMGP0314.jpg
Looking south towards Ben Ledi right.

IMGP0317.jpg
The summit cairn!

IMGP0323.jpg
​Looking north:

IMGP0325.jpg
The communications aerial with Stob Binnein and Ben More in the distance.

IMGP0326.jpg
The new gate:

I probably should have headed further north on the track but I was tempted to cut down a less track more directly to Strathye. The problem is that the forestry tracks tend to be parallel and contour round. Parts were pleasant, others along raised clay track with the impressions made by caterpillar tracks. Much was down sections where the trees had been felled. If I could see a track further down, I found way to join it. Eventually, I joined a proper track and soon afterwards found a footpath sign.

IMGP0328.jpg

This was a very pleasant end to the walk and led me to the start of my uphill route. There was a bit of information about MacCaskill and some standing stones.

IMGP0329.jpg

IMGP0330.jpg
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland