walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

No Forcan way, not without my Buckfast

No Forcan way, not without my Buckfast

Postby Stretch » Mon May 16, 2011 9:40 pm

Route description: The Saddle, Forcan Ridge and Sgurr na Sgine

Munros included on this walk: Sgurr na Sgine, The Saddle

Date walked: 14/05/2011

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1270m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

If ever there was a camping trip in Glen Shiel, this was not it :lol: . Instead of trying to set up our tents at a flooded campsite, the four of us gents packed into the Cluanie Inn and enjoyed the comforts of warm beds, cold pints, a plasma tv, and oh yes, the 'Bucky'. Willie, Alan, James, and myself had been planning a camping trip down Glen Shiel for a few months, but the weather was shocking to say the least when we arrived in the area on Friday night. Without too much deliberation it was decided to seek shelter in the Cluanie - a wise call. The whole story of this trip has been nicely documented by Willie and JB, so I will just add my few thoughts and some of my pics.

JB's report for the Forcan Ridge with Alan - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12004

Willie's report for the alternate route with Alastair S and I - http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12008&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Although Willie and I decided to bail on our plans to do the South Glen Shiel Ridge, this weekend was still a hoot - well, at least when the wind wasn't blasting sleet in our face, and when Willie's knee wasn't deteriorating on our steep descent from Faochag. The banter with the boys was as good as always, and they were so kind to provide me with some fine wine made by monks down in England. Seems these monks ship this wine in large quantities to parts of Scotland where it is enjoyed by only the finest members of the population. Buckfast is sweet and syrupy, but tasty all the same. However, I was warned that if I drank too much of it I might temporarily forget how classy I am and start bashing unsuspecting fellow walkers. So a few sips it was, enough to help me sleep :lol: .

I found the route up to the start of the Forcan Ridge really easy, but with the fierce wind and slippery conditions I didn't fancy trying to go over it. Having heard James and Alan's success story about a dozen times after they made it over the ridge I am now all for going back to do it on a sunny day.

It was also good to meet up with Alastair - we've all seen his fine photos in the past, sadly this day offered little for us photo enthusiasts.

Finally, if anyone at the Cluanie Inn reads this - I (and the boys) really appreciate you hooking us up with the rooms for the two nights. However, please note that for nearly 12 pounds, your 'slice' of Steak and Ale Pie was not enough to make a dent in a 6'-7" American's stomach - the whole pie would be appreciated at that price. :lol:

Now, where's my Bucky?

Camping - Cluanie Inn style.jpg

Camping is tough - note James hogging the Buckfast.jpg

The view from our tent window.jpg

The midges at our campsite were terrible.jpg

Willie and Alan discuss the merits of Buckfast on the way up.jpg

A break below the start of the Forcan Ridge.jpg

The jagged Forcan Ridge.jpg

Alastair and Gammy on the disputed summit of the Saddle.jpg

Sgurr na Sgine.jpg

James and Alan on Sgurr na Sgine - still buzzin after the Forcan Ridge.jpg

Alastair inspecting Faochag from Sgurr na Sgine.jpg

Heading up Faochag.jpg

Steep descent down Faochag.jpg

Toward Shiel Bridge and down to the car.jpg
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Re: No Forcan way, not without my Buckfast

Postby skuk007 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Great report Stretch, love that last picture.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby JB likes a beer » Mon May 16, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi stretch excellent pictures once again ,really like photo 7 is that .......oh yeah the forcan ridge did i ever tell you we went over that :lol: ,thanks for the great company mate dont be taking too much of a liking to that buckie you have a phd to finish :lol:
JB likes a beer
Mountaineer

Munros:194   Corbetts:3
Grahams:1   

Postby Stretch » Mon May 16, 2011 10:13 pm

Cheers Skuk

JB, did I understand you correctly when you said you went over the Forcan Ridge? :lol: I must have missed that over the weekend. Great time with you Stirling boys as always, AE is next up :shock:
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8

Postby rockhopper » Mon May 16, 2011 10:29 pm

:lol: :lol: excellent and great photos despite the weather.....but midges ? :? :problem: :shifty: :think: :lol:
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:218
Grahams:64   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:19

Postby Alan S » Mon May 16, 2011 11:41 pm

Thanks for a good weekend mate im really glad you convinced us into camping :lol:
Wish you had done the ridge with us you would have loved it, did i tell you about the part where ..... :lol: :lol:
Really glad you liked the local wine :D

See you in june mate
:D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:207   Corbetts:4
Grahams:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:12
Walk wish-list

Postby Jockstar » Tue May 17, 2011 12:07 am

Glad you guys had a hoot after the bad luck of missing the FA cup final ! And introducing our American friend to Buckfast was a master stroke. Expect to see the long legs buckle at the next opportunity of setting the pace .. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your billet was well researched as home comforts were evident, especially where there are a lot of photos with drink being strongly to the fore ! :lol:
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Alastair S » Tue May 17, 2011 12:16 am

Nice one Stretch 8) - like the title :lol:

It was really good to have company on such a poor weather day - kept the spirits from flagging. Just finished tarting up my piccies so you can now sneak a peek over on Flickr. Hopefully will get my report done tomorrow.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Grahams:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Another cracking report as always Andy,the more I think about the weekend the more I look back and really now see we had a great time.My next attack on the ridge is already taking shape,just need to try and work out some times and dates,and hope you can join me
gammy leg walker
Mountaineer

Munros:262   Corbetts:7
Grahams:4   Donalds:3
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland