walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My Five A Day

My Five A Day

Postby andyroog » Tue May 17, 2011 10:59 am

Munros included on this walk: An Stùc, Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers, Meall Garbh (Ben Lawers), Meall Greigh

Date walked: 11/05/2011

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After being dropped off for my first wildcamp jaunt this year a five night indulgence on the lawers range well that was the plan but the weather always changes plans.I started from the horn shop on loch tay and walked up past machium farm and up to the upper sheilings below lochan nan cat and purred to myself at the sight, setting up quick and enjoyed a lovely quite night well apart from the flute?
base camp.JPG
hotel Roog
The next morning the weather rolled in as if waiting for me don't you just hate it when that happens
PICT0294.JPG
the clag
even the sheep took shelter
PICT0293.JPG
not good when the sheep shelter
and that was the pattern till wednesday morning the change was weird bad am good pm so set off for meall greigh
PICT0309.JPG
summit top
good advantage starting from this point only took 1.5 hrs and thats taking it steady a long tug up to meall garbh the views are stunning
PICT0315.JPG
PICT0287.JPG
Great views
continued to an stuc what a change biting wind,freezing cold,hail snow like broken windscreen glass,snow flakes and sun all within a couple of hours only seen four people all day but being honest i loved every minute its not just about bagging for me its about spending time and enduring the elements and absorbing the views
PICT0316.JPG
An stuc
carried on to ben lawers snacking on jelly babies all day surprised how quick i got to this point those babes are good
PICT0321.JPG
Ben lawers
PICT0322.JPG
Ben lawers
carried on to beinn Ghlas and overall a great day back to the visitors centre and the long long long walk back to vehicle track and base camp oh and the flute? two nights hearing this felt really spooky at three in the morning away from it all any one else heard this I hope so. more pics to view
PICT0329.JPG
PICT0328.JPG
PICT0318.JPG
PICT0305.JPG
PICT0318.JPG
PICT0310.JPG
Attachments
PICT0288.JPG
PICT0299.JPG
PICT0300.JPG
PICT0307.JPG
great views
PICT0304.JPG
The cat
Last edited by andyroog on Fri May 20, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Re: My Five A Day

Postby ChrisW » Tue May 17, 2011 8:39 pm

Great report andy and great effort sticking with it, some good pics when the clag allowed :D as for the flute :wtf: :shock:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby andyroog » Tue May 17, 2011 8:51 pm

Hi, thanks for that if i hear flute again on another munro i might have too see a man in a white coat, :D ha
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Postby monty » Tue May 17, 2011 9:38 pm

Excellent Andy. Looks like a good wild camp was had. Some smashing photos. Good attitude challenging the conditions. :D I like that. Jelly baboes are my fav too :lol:
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland