walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

stob dearg

stob dearg

Postby delberto » Tue May 17, 2011 10:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 16/05/2011

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

stob deargh 008.JPG

Brian and delberto decided to be daft and go a jont up to glen coe for a nice summers afternoon of munro walking. :D
so we grabbed our gear and left the bustling metropolis of denny and headed to glen coe with excitement and happiness in mind.
ofcourse things dont turn out the way we planned and by the time we arrived in glen coe the weather was very pash indeed.:think:
anyways, we had spent two hours in my honda jazz and decided that we were going up no matter what. So on with the wet weather gear and up and at em. By the time we arrived at the base of the mountain my t shirt was soaked and my water proof trousers were soaked. Never mind thought i and trundled onwards and upwards. Chaffing... and a little bit more chaffing later, and with my soaking wet boxer shorts stuck down my knees somewhere... :shock: my morale took a nose dive.
stob deargh 011.JPG

The wind was gusting heavy and visibility was reducing, however my bruv and me kept moving. In the poor weather we really didnmt get a sense of the true beauty the range has to offer. it was a real shame. To be honest with a head on funelled wind in our faces it got a bit tiresome. But we reached the top of the ridge after a long time.
The treck along the top was easy enough compared to the main ascent.The wind had died down a but was was still gusting strong.
stob deargh 013.JPG
delberto at summit

our intention afetr reaching the summit was to do the ridge as seems to be standard practice. However due to the wind and rain and general wetness of my nether regions (not for the right reasons it should be noted) we went down the way we came up. (not recommended). Its not as easy going down as coming up at times. Im not as nimble footed as my brother and struggled in places. I was glad to get down the first stage of descent (first hundred feet or so).The route then starts to be more defined and breaks into steps.
Glad i done it, but was looking forward to doing my tenth munro by douing a double with this walk. Not to be though. I will return in a couple of months and get the most out of the hills in the area by getting the right weather (with a bit of luck)
Although the weather was really poor, I think it is a real sense of achievement when you beat the odds and make the summit. In the past ive been beaten back by poor weather and it a sickener to know you didnt make the summit.
Im one of those people who hates the mountain beating me and will return again and again until i get up the bloody thing.
I enjoyed the day. I even enjoyed the elements. Need new wet weather gear though !!!and water proof boxers !!
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Re: stob dearg

Postby skuk007 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:51 pm

Well done for even getting out the car when you got there, that first photo doesn't make it look very inviting at all.

Don't blame you for not continuing along the ridge, it's a fair old trek on a dry day so in these conditions and with soggy kaks it could seriously have put you off for a long time. :lol:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby pollyh33 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:57 pm

Oh no!!! What a wet and wild report!! And I thought I had picked the wrong days to get out and about!
Thanks for posting!!
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Raymond » Thu May 19, 2011 5:14 pm

Well done on making the summit, bruv. :lol:
Bryan was delighted he made it, and was telling me he was a bit scared at one point when the wind was rather whipping along.
:shock:
Good report and piccies - Maybe we can do it in the better weather next time eh?
Raymond
Hill Bagger

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   

Postby monty » Thu May 19, 2011 5:39 pm

Well done Delberto,

nice summers afternoon of munro walking.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

The weathers not been very nice lately. Good effort to get up there anyway . :D
monty

Postby scotty72 » Thu May 19, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi Delberto,

Done stob dearg and Stob na Broige today, weather was not too bad, bit of walk along the ridge, so you were right to call it a day, 2 other tops before Stob na Broige, 7 hours including a few stops, well worth going back another time, got nice views when the clag cleared, cheers Scotty.
scotty72
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:6   

Postby ChrisW » Sat May 21, 2011 9:14 am

Chaffing... and a little bit more chaffing later, and with my soaking wet boxer shorts stuck down my knees somewhere... my morale took a nose dive.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Great effort delberto :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby delberto » Sun May 22, 2011 7:11 pm

thanks for the replys folks.
i will go up again in the near future. really looking forward to it.
Raymie and brian well do an overnighter if we can time off together.

see you soon
del
delberto
Mountain Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland