walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

07 Ben Lomond 26th July 2009

07 Ben Lomond 26th July 2009

Postby Tenbob » Wed May 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 26/07/2009

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 1000m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben Lomond was a munro I had always looked forward to tackling but sadly on the day which I took it on the weather was miserable. And I mean miserable.

The weather didn't look too bad on the drive there and was still reasonable on arrival. But my first disaster struck when I took my digital camera out to take some photo's of Loch Lomond before setting off. I hadn't charged up the battery and the camera was dead. Doh! So, I checked my mobile phone and I was down to very little battery - double Doh! I decided to keep what battery I had for a photo at the top.

Luckily I had my waterproofs and my gaiters so at least I had prepared well in that respect! Anyhoo, I took on Ben Lomond via the Ptarmigan Ridge and intially the going is pretty steep. I was probably only about 20 minutes in when the world disappeared! I could only see about 15 metres ahead and the wind and rain got fiercer with each weary step. Still, I decided I would grit my teeth and get on with it. I have to admit that at some points I had to wonder if I had any sense in my stupid heid - with the rain turning to hailstones at various points and whacking me horizontally at what felt like 100mph. Although I couldn't really see a thing I somehow had the impression this would be a really good walk in nice weather. There are some nice rocky sections further up the walk and onto the summit. On getting to the top I took my only photo of the day - the trig point. Sadly, my phone battery packed in after taking this shot.

Ben Lomond trig.jpg

On the way down the 'tourist route' I only passed a few other mad souls and about an hour from the car park the sky opened to reveal glorious blue skies :lol:

I will return to Loch Lomond to walk Ben again but next time I'll wait for a clear bright day.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland