walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The best laid schemes....

The best laid schemes....

by pollyh33 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:36 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn), Stùc a' Chròin

Date walked: 15/05/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1000m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The best laid schemes....

Postby anasta » Fri May 20, 2011 4:16 pm

Great report, Polly, the weather can be a right pain, but sounds like you still had a fab time :D Love the picture of you both by the loch, you look lovely :)
anasta
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby pollyh33 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:22 pm

anasta wrote:Great report, Polly, the weather can be a right pain, but sounds like you still had a fab time :D Love the picture of you both by the loch, you look lovely :)

Thanks Anasta.

Its amazing what a well cut Armani frock and a pair of heels can do!! Miracle workers!!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Del246 » Fri May 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Now thats putting presure on me to find the path now lol. I hope to do this before July, its just difficult for me to get out to the hills as much as I would like as I have a young family and also the weather in Scotland !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1

Postby pollyh33 » Fri May 20, 2011 9:18 pm

Del246 wrote:Now thats putting presure on me to find the path now lol. I hope to do this before July, its just difficult for me to get out to the hills as much as I would like as I have a young family and also the weather in Scotland !!

Yes it is a bit of a juggling act when the kids are young. Don't worry, they do grow up!! :D

Just noticed you're from Uddingston, I used to go school in Bothwell. Its a small world!!!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby tango » Tue May 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Shame about the weather... :( . but looks like you made the most of the days you had!! So good on you both!! The jetty photo looks nice!!
tango

Postby pollyh33 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:41 pm

tango wrote:Shame about the weather... :( . but looks like you made the most of the days you had!! So good on you both!! The jetty photo looks nice!!

Thanks Terry. Yeah the weather was pretty rubbish, I don't think the photos convey how driech it was! It must be hell for you all that endless sunshine!!! :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Border Reiver » Tue May 24, 2011 2:55 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:running the gauntlet of hundreds of drunks carrying fishing rods!!! Is this normal??

Sadly Loch Earn and nearby Loch Lubnaig have been taken over by morons. There's no mystery - they are both within an hour of the central belt and seem to be the "place to go" :?

Loch Lomond as well. We had to run the gauntlet of the same types when we did the WHW. The "bonny banks" are no longer that in some places, with semi-permanent camps among the trees, litter, toilet debris and empty cans everywhere and trees hacked to pieces for firewood. We found it quite menacing as the WHW passes through these camps. The locals say fishermen are among the worst, hiring boats and having fishing / drinking trips to remoter parts and on islands.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby magicdin » Tue May 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Border Reiver wrote:
LeithySuburbs wrote:
pollyh33 wrote:running the gauntlet of hundreds of drunks carrying fishing rods!!! Is this normal??

Sadly Loch Earn and nearby Loch Lubnaig have been taken over by morons. There's no mystery - they are both within an hour of the central belt and seem to be the "place to go" :?

Loch Lomond as well. We had to run the gauntlet of the same types when we did the WHW. The "bonny banks" are no longer that in some places, with semi-permanent camps among the trees, litter, toilet debris and empty cans everywhere and trees hacked to pieces for firewood. We found it quite menacing as the WHW passes through these camps. The locals say fishermen are among the worst, hiring boats and having fishing / drinking trips to remoter parts and on islands.

The new National Park By Laws come in to force on 1st June - will be interesting to see what happens
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby pollyh33 » Tue May 24, 2011 3:34 pm

I'm doing the WHW again in July and it will be interesting to see how much cleaner the loch side will be. This was my favourite part of the walk but it was marred by two things. Firstly we couldnt find a couple of the WHW markers, luckily we met a ranger who pointed us back in the right direction and told us that the posts are often ripped out and used as firewood! The other thing was a young guy covered in blood running passed us, quickly followed by another one looking very angry!! :lol: Scary stuff!
pollyh33
Walker

Postby Merry-walker » Sat May 28, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi Polly

Great effort in bad weather conditions. I know you were excited about your trip away, its a shame the weather couldn't have been better for you guys and I'm really disapointed for you. I've never done this hill but it looks a great hill with some cracking views. You have a gut instinct for this stuff and making the decision to head back was the best one to make. The hills await you dear, another day... :) :) :) :)

Your report was brilliant as always and loved the pictures :D :D :D
Merry-walker
Mountaineer

Munros:65   Corbetts:53
Fionas:12   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby pollyh33 » Sat May 28, 2011 10:46 pm

Merry-walker wrote:Hi Polly

Great effort in bad weather conditions. I know you were excited about your trip away, its a shame the weather couldn't have been better for you guys and I'm really disapointed for you. I've never done this hill but it looks a great hill with some cracking views. You have a gut instinct for this stuff and making the decision to head back was the best one to make. The hills await you dear, another day... :) :) :) :)

Your report was brilliant as always and loved the pictures :D :D :D

Thanks MW,

Can't believe how rubbish the weather has been recently. Its amazing how much better life is with a bit of sunshine :lol: :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Postby ndhudson » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:18 pm

Hi Polly! Great fun...weather and all! Good job trudging through it. I'm guilty of the Quasimodo walk myself, on occasion. :D

Great photos as well! A couple that hikes together, stays together...that's my motto. ;)
ndhudson
Munro compleatist

Corbetts:1

Postby pollyh33 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:29 pm

ndhudson wrote:Hi Polly! Great fun...weather and all! Good job trudging through it. I'm guilty of the Quasimodo walk myself, on occasion. :D

Great photos as well! A couple that hikes together, stays together...that's my motto. ;)

Thanks ND,

Yeah I think I must have been pretty tired when that Quasi pic was taken!! :lol:
pollyh33
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland