walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Eastern Fannichs

Eastern Fannichs

Postby spiderwebb » Thu May 19, 2011 10:34 am

Route description: Sgùrr Mòr and the eastern Fannichs

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr Fannaich, Meall Gorm, Sgùrr Mòr

Date walked: 12/03/2011

Time taken: 14 hours

Distance: 20 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast for the day was overcast, no wind with a weather front moving in at around 1800 hrs. I followed the river from the met station just east of Loch Droma. A fair bit of snow but a good path along the river, and then the clmb up Beinn Liath Mhor picking a route towards the crest.
By the time I reached the summit cloud had dropped to hide the views. I dropped a little too far on the descent and as a result had a bit more to climb to reach Sgurr Mor, by which time it was blowing a gale and more or less white out.
From here on I followed GPS waypoints which I'd pre-loaded along to Meall Gorm, meeting the only other person along this ridge, complete with his snow goggles. I went out next day and bought a pair !
When I reached the Bealch nan Ban I decided to cut short and descend and this is where the fun started.
I slipped twice on decsent not least as I couldn't see the ground but arrested the slips with my axe. I can't recall when I last used it but clearly its like riding a bike and you don't forget. Lost my GPS on the first slip but as I came to a halt it slid down and hit me on the head !
Continued down to Loch Gorm and as the guide states this is routh going underfoot ! Fell into waist deep snow several times but was encouraged by the progress to each waypoint I'd marked making each leg about half a mile, by now in the dark using headtorch.
Finally reached the river and return by the path to the car.
I was overdue and could not get any signal to alert the wife, who by now had called the police who had apparently been to check the car was still there.
When I reached the car it had taken 5 hrs to cover the 5 miles from the bealach and then my mobile burst into life. I called home and the wife said she had called police so she would contact them back, but as the call finished the police called me. All was well, although they had the MRT looking at options ! They did ask if I had seen their lights when they came to the car, but I explained that since about 1230 hrs I'd seen nothing but my GPS and snow !
By now the snow was also heavy on the road so a slow journey back to Muir Of Ord to end the day.
Clearly the weather front was somewhat early forcing a shortening of the day but not sufficient to make up time. I'd also forgotten the wife was working that night which didn't help ! Cost me a night out to compensate !
Attachments
_3124765_edited-2.jpg
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Eastern Fannichs

Postby NevJB » Thu May 19, 2011 10:56 am

This sounds like an epic - did this last summer in fine weather - the walk from Loch Gorm to where you meet the path was hard work without the snow :( :( Took us about 2.5 hrs to walk out from the bealach. Great effort on your part :D
NevJB
Walker

Munros:55   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:13   

Postby spiderwebb » Thu May 19, 2011 3:05 pm

Yep it was a bit of an epic, since been back to collect An Coileachan without the snow, although there was a large rim with cornice on the lip of the bealach. When I saw it, I thought blimey I came down that !! Skirted to the left to avoid it to ascend An Coileachan as i didn't fancy digging my way through. The walk out was quicker but even with the help of daylight and good vis was still hard work with the peat hags etc. but if you stay a bit high above the loch until you can see the first bridge. By the time the bridge comes into view there is a path of sorts leading diagonally down to it. Easy when you can see of course !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby monty » Thu May 19, 2011 5:44 pm

That sounds like one tough walk in the snow. Not much fun walking through the deep stuff so good effort. :D
monty

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland