walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairnwell Three

Cairnwell Three

Postby JonetCol » Sat May 21, 2011 10:10 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 15/05/2011

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 579m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I took a gamble and set off on the WH recommended route from the ski centre (E) car park in rain, low cloud and poor visibility. A guy coming off the hills questioned my sanity, but offered his WH route guide as he'd just finished. (The gamble paid off as the weather improved slightly to get me round.) The guide was useful as there are so many paths using a map alone would be potentially confusing. The steep eroded path looked rubble strewn but got me quickly to the summit of Carn Aosda via its ski lifts. From the top the route to Carn a Gheodh is clear enough as the waypoint beallach is clearly visible. The walk is much more pleasant as you progress because the ski lift detritus gradually disappears behind you. It also feels more remote and the views E to the Glenshee hills and W to the deeper Cairnwells are good. The steep ascent eases off after Carn nan Sac to give a v pleasant ridge walk to the summit. The weather eased intermittently to permit occasional good views of the surrounding hills.
The route retraces the upward route back to the beallach from where it heads east then climbs steeply S to the ski lift pylon and radio mast on the construction litter strewn summit. The views were restricted by the cloud coming down again making it timely to return to the start. I walked back down to the ski fenece and looked for a path directly back to the car park. Finding none I headed down the steep, slippery, grass and heather slopes in a generally NE direction. It looks worse tan it is and is perfectly manageable with care.
PICT1372.JPG
Me atop Carn Aosda
PICT1373.JPG
loch Vrotrachan from Carn Aosda
PICT1373.JPG
loch Vrotrachan from Carn Aosda
PICT1374.JPG
Carn Aosda fromm the beallach
PICT1374.JPG
Carn Aosda fromm the beallach
PICT1375.JPG
carn a Gheoidh fom the beallach
PICT1378.JPG
The Cairnwell fom the summit ofC a G
PICT1379.JPG
me atop C a G
PICT1380.JPG
To N of C a G
PICT1381.JPG
to E of C a G
PICT1381.JPG
to E of C a G
PICT1383.JPG
me atop cairnwell
PICT1384.JPG
To n of Cairnwell
PICT1385.JPG
to E of Cairnwell
PICT1386.JPG
S of Cairnwell?
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

JonetCol
Munro compleatist

Munros:112   Corbetts:1

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland