walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

08 - 10 Carn a'Gheoidh, The Cairnwell & Carn Aosda 28.07.09

08 - 10 Carn a'Gheoidh, The Cairnwell & Carn Aosda 28.07.09

Postby Tenbob » Mon May 23, 2011 7:53 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 28/07/2009

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 11.8 km

Ascent: 697m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

01 Cairngorms signpost with Carn Aosda in background.JPG

Browsing my Munro guidebook for my next foray into the hills I decided to head for Glen Shee, an area of Scotland I hadn't been anywhere near. The book gave the horror description of the Glen Shee ski centre development but the blow was softened when I read that with the car being parked at an altitude of 675m, the summit of these Munro's were to be had with very little effort.

02 View of Carn Aosda from Glenshee Ski Centre car park.JPG

I left the car park and headed behind the ski centre buildings to the abandoned ski tow and followed this to the path which leads to The Cairnwell.

05 Beginning of ascent, beneath abandoned ski tow.JPG

Luckily for this little fellow I spotted him before he got a walking pole in his throat!

06 Frog I spotted on ascent, nearly prodded with walking pole!.JPG

The summit of The Cairnwell isn't the most natural you will see on your rounds.

11 Me at the summit Cairn of The Cairnwell.JPG

Next on the agenda was Carn a' Gheoidh, simply retrace your steps back to the top of the abandoned ski tow then follow the path which skirts round the corrie to Carn nan Sac. You will notice I forgot to include this on my map at the end of the post. It's just a small deviation from the way to Carn a Gheoidh.

12 The Cairnwell from the summit Cairn of Carn nan Sac.JPG

Upon leaving Carn nan Sac you pass yet another cairn on your way to Carn a' Gheoidh.

17 Carn a'Gheoidh from 2nd Cairn after Carn nan Sac.JPG

It's just a straightforward walk from here to the summit of Carn a' Gheoidh.

18 Me at summit Cairn of Carn a'Gheoidh.JPG

Final push for the day and onto Carn Aosda, which is in the far centre of the next shot. Bulldozed track and ski tow runs can clearly be seen like deeply gouged scars.

19 Ridge heading out towards Carn Aosda.JPG

The way to Carn Aosda is very straightforward. Follow the path round the corrie then detour NE and join the track which leads to the stony summit of Carn Aosda, and, for me it's time to get the trangia on the go and have a cup of tea and bite to eat.

20 Time for tea - The Cairnwell (left) and Carn nan Sac (right) in background.JPG

You get a good view down to the ski centre from Carn Aosda. Not that it is a very pleasant one.

22 View of Glenshee Ski Centre from Carn Aosda.JPG

You can choose the track to make your way back to the car park but I chose to walk down past the second ski tow. Passing something which surely cannot still be in use - looks like some sort of obscene torture device!

24 Busted Ski Tow at foot of Carn Aosda.JPG

Apart from the obvious eyesore that this walk brings it was still very enjoyable. When you get past the ski paraphernalia and onto Carn a' Gheoidh it feels as remote as many other Munro's.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Tenbob

Munros:102   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:3   

Re: 08 - 10 Carn a'Gheoidh, The Cairnwell & Carn Aosda 28.07.09

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 23, 2011 9:14 pm

Nice report tenbob and glorious green pics, I was up there last week and really enjoyed it.....why so long before the post? :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Tenbob » Tue May 24, 2011 11:48 am

ChrisW wrote:.....why so long before the post? :D

Because I'm a lazy son bitch when it comes to walk reports. As you can see by my Munro tally I have quite a few to get through, hoping that at some point I will catch up and be able to write up a report in the same week I have completed a walk.
Tenbob

Postby mojomcl » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks for this - I'm thinking of doing these during the Tomintoul Walking Festival, and knew I'd find more details of the route on here :) On one hand, I don't know if I'm ready for Munros, on the other hand, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger :lol: Hence thinking of doing it with more experienced walkers.
Maybe a daft question, but how steep are the climbs? I'm noticing that the height of the summits is no indication of the severity of the ascent....
mojomcl
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi mojo - thanks for the kind comments on my report for this route, the best way to get the route ascent profile is to look at the 'official' WH report for the walk and scroll to the bottom of the page where there is a very handy graph, have a squint here http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/cairnwell.shtml
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Tenbob » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:53 pm

mojomcl wrote:Thanks for this - I'm thinking of doing these during the Tomintoul Walking Festival.......... how steep are the climbs? I'm noticing that the height of the summits is no indication of the severity of the ascent....

Hi mojo, only just noticed you replied to my thread. I don't know if the Tomintoul festival has happened yet and if you have tackled these munro's yet but fear not, they are not steep at all. The route took me just under 5 hours but I had quite a few stops for photo's, food & water. Have fun!
Tenbob

Postby mojomcl » Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Thanks both - September is the festival, so I'm working on my fitness in anticipation ;o)
mojomcl
Mountaineer

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland