walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis via Carn Mor Dearg

Ben Nevis via Carn Mor Dearg

Postby adamg » Tue May 24, 2011 5:10 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 01/05/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After years of walking around the Kilpatrick hills and taking in views towards the Highlands from the top of Duncomb I finally got my act together and took in my first two Munro's on the 1st of May. I arrived in the north face carpark and set off with my friends Kev and Owain. As the experienced climber of the group, Owain acted as our guide and kept us motivated on the way up Carn Mor Dearg as our legs quickly began to give way from underneath us. The other main influence that helped us drag ourselves up CMD was the imposing frame of Ben Nevis towering above us and Owain's promises of the buzz we'd get from scrambling over the Carn Mor Dearg arete on our way to the Ben.

Several wheezy water breaks later we made it to the top of our first Munro for the day and the first ever for myself and Kev. We took a short break for lunch and spoke to a couple of small groups passing by on their way to the ridge including an older couple with a very small but equally energetic dog. This immediately made me feel extremely guilty as i'd left my Cocker Spaniel Alfie at home for the day.

Of all the days to begin bagging Munro's I don't think we could possibly have chosen a better one. Visibility was perfect and while the searing heat didn't help us on the initial climb up CMD it did make the views even more spectacular than they were already.

Without a doubt the best part of the day was the scramble across the ridge towards Ben Nevis. If I hadn't caught the bug before that point I was well and truly hooked by the time I reached the Ben. I even had a huge grin on my face the moment a powerful gust of wind caught me off balance at the most exposed point of the ridge!

We made our way up the final punishing ascent to the summit of Ben Nevis for a mid afternoon snack and a contemplation of our day's achievement.

I had been warned in advance of the deflated feeling of reaching the top to meet the swarm of cotton clad, trainer wearing, Morrison's carrier bag toting tourists on the plateau but to be totally honest I was too busy basking in the sunshine and the view to take any notice. Also, the smug feeling of knowing something they didn't after taking the CMD route far outweighed the loss of tranquility. Everyone on top was clearly in awe of their surroundings and as long as they carry off everything they carried on and respect the mountain enough to avoid putting a strain on the mountain rescue service then they should have no less of a right of access than anyone else.

The walk back down the tourist path was brief as we left it just after Lochan an t-Suidhe and cut across the burn between the two mountains before rejoining the path back to the North Face carpark.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by adamg on Thu May 26, 2011 11:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
adamg
Rambler

Re: Ben Nevis via Carn Mor Dearg

Postby kw1980 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:35 pm

How was it for you?
kw1980
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:1

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 24, 2011 9:05 pm

adamg wrote:Ben Nevis via Carn Mor Dearg

Nice & to the point
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Tue May 24, 2011 9:41 pm

Yes
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Postby GraemeMac » Tue May 24, 2011 9:53 pm

I strongly agree with all these statements
GraemeMac

Munros:32   Corbetts:11
Fionas:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:37   

Postby adamg » Wed May 25, 2011 12:27 am

Sorry, bad start... I started this post earlier and got sidetracked by work. I've added a little more detail now!
adamg
Rambler

Postby Alastair S » Wed May 25, 2011 7:36 am

adamg wrote:I started this post earlier and got sidetracked by work.

Yes it has a habit of doing that :lol:
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby skuk007 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:40 pm

Nice report, great route for your first two Munros :clap: Deep end stuff indeed.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby adamg » Wed May 25, 2011 9:39 pm

skuk007 wrote:Nice report, great route for your first two Munros :clap: Deep end stuff indeed.

Thanks, i've got Owain to thank for the route. Would never have chosen to go for Ben Nevis on my first trip and had never even heard of CMD before he suggested it. It was a perfect day.

Think our next route will take in Beinn Ime, Narnain and the Cobbler. I headed up the Cobbler in March but didn't reach the true summit due to a combination of snow and lack of crampons plus a lack of daylight. We'll definately be better prepared for the return trip.
adamg
Rambler

Postby cpjmathieson » Thu May 26, 2011 9:38 am

I climbed The Ben in April via the Tourist route, your route looks superb, if I'm up there again I would love to try your route have you added a map of your route for me to browse....well done !!
cpjmathieson
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Postby adamg » Thu May 26, 2011 11:10 am

cpjmathieson wrote:I climbed The Ben in April via the Tourist route, your route looks superb, if I'm up there again I would love to try your route have you added a map of your route for me to browse....well done !!

I've added a map of the route as I remember it. I've tried to be as accurate as possible but should point out this was my first attempt at drawing a route using the OS software so I wouldn't suggest following the route on your gps during a whiteout! :shock:
adamg
Rambler

Postby cpjmathieson » Thu May 26, 2011 11:19 am

adamg wrote:
cpjmathieson wrote:I climbed The Ben in April via the Tourist route, your route looks superb, if I'm up there again I would love to try your route have you added a map of your route for me to browse....well done !!

I've added a map of the route as I remember it. I've tried to be as accurate as possible but should point out this was my first attempt at drawing a route using the OS software so I wouldn't suggest following the route on your gps during a whiteout! :shock:

Sorry must have missed the map lol
That's a far longer route than I took, but if I return I'll give it a go thanks :D
cpjmathieson
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   
Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:3   

Postby adamg » Thu May 26, 2011 11:28 am

Not at all, I only added it after you asked!
adamg
Rambler

Postby adamg » Thu May 26, 2011 11:32 am

cpjmathieson wrote: That's a far longer route than I took, but if I return I'll give it a go thanks :D

You'll notice after Lochan an t-Suidhe we took a cheeky short cut as the fatigue was well and truly set in by that point. Next time (and there definately will be a next time) we'll try and stick to the path the long way around past the CIC hut.
adamg
Rambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland