walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

the south glen shiel ridge

the south glen shiel ridge

Postby Alan S » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:00 pm

Route description: South Glen Shiel Ridge: 7 Munros

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Air Chrith, Creag a'Mhàim, Creag nan Dàmh, Druim Shionnach, Maol chinn-dearg, Sgùrr an Doire Leathain, Sgùrr an Lochain

Date walked: 12/06/2009

Time taken: 10 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1810m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

DATE:13/06/09
ASCENT:1810m
DISTANCE:27km
TIME TAKEN:9 hours 15 mins + just over 1hr in stops
WEATHER:low cloud and rain in the morning,warm sunshine in the early afternoon,back to rain later

apologies for any mistakes on pictures as some of them i cant remember whats what in the mist

finally climbed the long awaited glen shiel ridge on saturday, i no i say it every time but this was definetly my best walk yet and probably wont be beaten for a long time
This was planned in december for my father in laws 50th as he was dying to do this since we took up walking so i booked the cluanie inn for 2 nights, a great place to stay for hillwalkers especially for doing the ridge.i couldnt believe just how close the hills were to the hotel with my room probably having the best view i can remember from a hotel window
ridge from room window at cluanie.JPG

on arrivial at glen shiel we couldnt have hoped for better weather and had planned to to at least 1 munro but none of us had been to this area before and with a visit to skye and farting around looking at castles :) the idea of a couple of pints at the cluanie soon took preference
eileen donan castle.JPG

we set off from the cluanie around 7:30am a bit later than planned but we did have more than a couple of pints :wink:
start of walk from cluanie.JPG

after the half hour walk round the stalkers path to the starting point on the hill the day was nearly finished as wullie (father in law) nursing a sore knee without letting on decided he didnt want to risk carrying on as he was in to much pain.couldnt believe it as this weekend was planned for him but he didnt want to waste our trip.after a 15 min stand off we decided to go for it less 1 walker.
the next 1 hour and a half was murder with the rain overnight making walking in this steep muddy path a nightmare,the worst part of the walk.with the cloud closing in and visibility down to 20 metres i have never been so relieved to see a cairn
creag a' mhaim.JPG

had a good break here to recharge the batteries and the it was on to the very enjoyable druim shionnach one of the best parts of the walk pretty scary at some points but with the low cloud it was probably a good job i couldnt see down those steep slopes
ascent from druim shionnach.JPG
druim shionnach.JPG

no stopping here so it was onto aonach air chrith for the 3rd and highest munro,a great walk to this but only wish i could see the views i had heard so much about

so onto maol chinn dearg where suddenly the mist was slowly lifting and the first views opened up on approaching the summit
loch quoich from maol chinn-dearg.JPG
first view of 5 sisters.JPG
view from ridge with mist clearing.JPG

4 down 3 to go,the walking getting much better now as the blue skies getting the confidence going with great anticipation of getting to each summit before the clouds came back so quickly on to sgurr an doire leathain
close up of cluanie inn.JPG
more views  of 5 sisters.JPG
cluanie from sgurr coire na feinne.JPG
cluanie from sgurr an doire leathain.JPG
on route to sgurr an doire leathain.JPG

great views from here especially to the west and our next munro number 6 sgurr an lochain
a look back along the ridge.JPG
sgurr an doire leathain 2.JPG
sgurr an lochain.JPG
sgurr an lochain.2.JPG
ridge from sgurr an lochain.JPG
sgurr an lochain.3.JPG

the walk from sgurr an lochain to creag nan damh was better than i expected as i thought by this point we would have been completly knackered but the legs kept going and there was even the mention of adding the saddle and sgurr na sgine to the walk :)
but before long the clouds were working there way in from the south and before we knew it creag nan damh had disapeared and the rain was pelting down :(
creag nan damh..JPG

we had planned to have a good break here and take in the views and look back at what we had just done there was no time to hang around here so it was time to head off this excellent ridge.
on the advice of the owner of the cluanie we never descended by the way marked by the map to the car park at the battlesite but instead parked the car at the malagan car park further down the road to join the stalkers path.
feeling brave we chose a quicker route down the nw slopes following the am fas allt burn probably not the best idea as this was very steep and sore on the knees
return route from creag nan damh.JPG

after an hour and a half of constant pressure on the knees by following this burn i was so relieved by seeing the road and even better when i seen the car

a highly recommended walk from cluanie and a good day out well worth a visit

cheers alan :D

Glenshielridge.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
more views  of 5 sisters 2.JPG
Last edited by Alan S on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Re: the south glen shiel ridge

Postby MacCookie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:29 pm

Looks like you had better weather than we had when I did last August - rain from the start until Creag a'Mhaim and then low cloud and rain from Aonach air Chrith!

That last photo, "more views of 5 sisters 2.JPG" isn't the Five Sisters - it's looking towards the ridge that continues east from Sgurr na Ciste Dubh (the last of the Sisters). It looks like Beinn Odhar through to Saileag and Sgurr a Bhealach Dheirg. Suspect your other photos described as the Five Sisters show Saileag and Sgurr a Bhealach Dheirg as well.

Ewan
MacCookie
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   

Postby kinley » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Great report - it's some walk isn't it. Weather looks not cad for the NW.

Couple of questions:

alan sherry wrote:the next 1 hour and a half was murder with the rain overnight making walking in this steep muddy path a nightmare,the worst part of the walk.with the cloud closing in and visibility down to 20 metres i have never been so relieved to see a cairn

Did you use the stalkers path on the SE aspect of Creag a Mhaim - it seemed pretty well built for the most part.

Alan Sherry wrote:the walk from sgurr an lochain to creag nan damh was better than i expected as i thought by this point we would have been completly knackered but the legs kept going and there was even the mention of adding the saddle and sgurr na sgine to the walk

Always looks easier on the map doesn't it :lol:

Alan Sherry wrote:after an hour and a half of constant pressure on the knees by following this burn i was so relieved by seeing the road and even better when i seen the car

2 cars? Or did you walk back (or hitch a lift)?
kinley

Postby Alan S » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:22 am

thanks for pointing that out macCookie :oops:
that's why i apologised at the start of my report i knew i would get something wrong, ive noticed a few more mistakes as well but its a lot harder when you get back and look at your pics especially as it was 7 munros and with hardly any views its hard to tell whats what when your not familiar with the area

thanks for the comments kinley

i followed the path marked on this site by following the road round over a stone bridge to a stile and headed straight up the steep slopes,marked drochaid an uillt ghiubhais on the map.i did see other walkers following the road right round but thought this way would be quicker

yes it looks so much easier on the map but i was really on a high at that point but by the end of the walk the legs were shouting at me to stop :)

only had 1 car,the cluanie charge £9 to drop the car off the night before and bring you back to the hotel
but as wullie returned early he was fortunate to get a lift back to the layby by a nice lady who was dropping her husband off at the end of the road to cluanie lodge to start the ridge (cheaters :D ) and dropped him off at the car so he came back and picked us up right at the gate 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby cjwaugh » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:58 pm

Great report Alan really enjoyed that cheers :D
cjwaugh

Munros:282   Corbetts:28
Fionas:9   Donalds:27+0

Postby Alan S » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:22 pm

thanks cj,glad you enjoyed it :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Postby Can 0f Airy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:29 pm

If I pull my finger out I could show you the views you missed on the first part of this walk as we did the eastern four last month in good weather. We had a fantastic day - it really is a terrific walk and I had been eager to write a report but wanted to write the previous weeks report first... just haven't got around to this one yet. :oops:

Well done in doing the seven. Four was enough for me, especially with a hike back along the road to the start.
Can 0f Airy

Munros:197   Corbetts:13

Postby Alan S » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:13 pm

thanks can of airy
that would be great if you could show pics from the start, i can see what i missed
its a pity you never done the whole ridge especially seen as you walked back the distance up the road
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland