walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgurr na Eag

Sgurr na Eag

Postby spiderwebb » Sat May 28, 2011 2:07 pm

Route description: Southern Cuillin and Coire Ghrunnda

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr nan Eag

Date walked: 22/05/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Ascent: 910m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well, picked the wrong week to visit Skye, with winds peaking at over 100mph. This was the first ever walk where I got soaked and it didn't rain....and no I didn't fall into anything either.
Original plan was to pick up Sgurr nan Eag and Sgurr Dubh Mor but missed the latter due the time.
Walk in from Glen Brittle was pleasant enough and turned into Coire Ghrunnda. The walk up was where we got soaked due the force of wind driving most of the descending water into the air in a kind of rainstorm....yes water can flow uphill !
On reaching the lochan the ridge to the right cleared enough to catch a glimpse of the Casteil, our route up to the ridge.
Once we reached it, turned right for Sgurr nan Eag. I must have spent a good 5 minutes pinned at one spot, hanging to the ground with one hand due to the wind and yet my pals were standding up just a few metres away ! Strangely though the wind was less along the ridge, thankfully.
We made our way to the summit with only one bit of real scrambling up and over a large boulder. Phew some wind !
Next day we abandoned any hope of reaching any tops as wind had now increased and went for a stroll up the Storr...stroll Hah ! Two of my pals were blown off their feet, one being launched into the air arms out front, like superman, to land 10 heet away flat out, luckiliy just winded him landing fortunately on grass.
We were fully clothed in all our usual gear and it was somewhat amusing to see tourists getting out their cars with pac a macs etc. ! Trees by the car park were causing the ground to rise and fall (roots) in the wind, surreal !
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Re: Sgurr na Eag

Postby andyroog » Sat May 28, 2011 3:37 pm

It just goes to show wearing your underpants on the outside in a strong wind is always best. WELL DONE for hanging in there. :D
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

Re: Sgurr na Eag

Postby stomper » Sat May 28, 2011 9:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats an understaitment come back in DEc and we might get a Heatwave :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
stomper
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:16
Donalds:1
Hewitts:70
Wainwrights:140   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland