walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Golspie to Brora, easy walk by the sea

Golspie to Brora, easy walk by the sea

Postby Alba Bhoy » Sun Feb 25, 2024 10:25 pm

Route description: John o'Groats Trail: Golspie to Brora

Date walked: 22/02/2024

Time taken: 2.25 hours

Distance: 10 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Did this stretch of the JOG trail on Thursday 22nd February 2024.
Today's walk was nice and easy and at just over 6 miles, nice and short. And all done in lovely late February sunshine. Blue skies, good obvious paths bar one relatively short section where the railway gets closest to the sea but all in all a very straightforward and enjoyable stroll. As easy and pleasant a day as you could ever wish for.
Early start to get the 0636 train from Haymarket to Stirling where I caught the Glasgow Inverness train. Thankfully the train arrived in Inverness on time at 1029, can almost forgive them not having a trolley service. That enabled me to catch the 1050 X99 Stagecoach express bus from Inverness bus station to Wick and Thurso and was in Golspie for 1220.
Wandered back along Golspie High Street to the Coffee Bothy where I had a bacon roll and nice cup of coffee to help ease me in to the correct frame of mind for today's stroll.
Fortified after my visit to the Coffee Bothy I walked back along to the far end of the Main Street where I turned right down Duke Street and at the far end crossed the footbridge and took the footpath running to the left of the cottage, sea close by on my right.
IMG_3280.JPG
House at the end of Duke Street where you cross the footbridge

Nice easy walking on the footpath towards Dunrobin Castle which soon comes into view ahead on your left. Social housing in this part of the world looks very nice!
IMG_3285.JPG
Dunrobin Castle

At the far end of Dunrobin Castle a private track heads up to the left. At this junction, take the obvious path heading straight on, sea still close by to your right, nice looking woodland up to your left. Looking back, you get a good view of the castle with Ben Bhraggie behind with the monument to a previous and more infamous Duke of Sutherland on top of it.
IMG_3289.JPG
Dunrobin with Ben Bhraggie and Duke of Sutherland monument behind

Dun Liath broch soon appears ahead on your left. It's only a few minutes detour to wander up to the broch which I was happy to do. Interesting building and evidence of people living here a couple of thousand years ago.
IMG_3290.JPG
Dun Liath Broch

Visit over, drop back down to the path and continue on my merry way. A few more minutes and you pass by the dilapidated shed mentioned in stage 5 of the Walkhighlands route notes. Path gets a wee bit more interesting from here. Path becomes narrower, grass surprisingly high for the time of year, quite a lot of fishing debris and pebbles on the path possibly as a result of all the winter storms. Tide was heading out so I found it easier to leave the 'path' and walk along the pebbles on the shore. At High tide walking along the shore might be more challenging.
Just before you reach the white cliff, the beach transitions from pebbles to mainly sand. I walked along the sand from here to the old WW2 listening station, passing by the nice waterfall just after the white cliff en route. Again this might be harder if the tide is in.
IMG_3292.JPG
Waterfall

Back up onto the path at the listening station, follow that the short distance to a car park and follow the road from there the short distance up to Brora High Street, River Brora on your right as you head up.
1305 - Start, Coffee Bothy, Fountain Road, Golspie.
1330 - Dunrobin Castle
1400 - Dun Liath broch
1420 - dilapidated old shed
1435 - white cliff
1520 - WW2 listening station
1530 - Brora Main Street
Time taken 2 hours 25 minutes
Alba Bhoy
Mountaineer

Munros:207   
Islands:31

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland