walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Driesh day, but mayar's better here than else where!

Driesh day, but mayar's better here than else where!

Postby jonny616 » Mon May 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Route description: Mayar and Driesh, Glen Clova

Munros included on this walk: Driesh, Mayar

Date walked: 22/05/2011

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 835m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

May was our month for an overnight camp & walk the ring of steall. Much excitment, even put a post up to see if anyone wanted to join us. Then the weather forecast trully put a dampner on things. Lots of options concidered to salvage some out door experiance from the weekend. Based on the weather we settled for Mayer & Driesh on Sunday. Web left glasgow at 6am :( & headed east.

Bite of breakfast at the car & joined by some locals, who ate our food & then left.
DSC01253a.JPG
joined for breakfast

We did the walk just as discribed on this site & it is a bueatifull thing. Nice easy start. When you come out of the woods the first view of The Corrie fee is amazing, a bit like the lost valley but greener & more postcard picture. The path up out is straight forward & once out the summit easily gained with a pleasent stroll between the two munro's. Although as always would be easy to go wrong in the clag!. Our weather was great compared to the forecast. Clear summits great views, sunshine, cloudy, rain, hale & snow. Typical May day in Scotalnd.
DSC01259a.JPG
Corrie Fee
DSC01258a.JPG
Pano of the Corrie Fee
DSC01263a.JPG
Path up out of the Corrie
DSC01264a.JPG
Looking back down Glen Doll
DSC01268a.JPG
Summit Mayar
DSC01271a.JPG
More locals
DSC01273a.JPG
Driesh Summit
DSC01275a.JPG
Mayar from Driesh
DSC01277a.JPG
Shank of Durumwhallo & the return path
DSC01280a.JPG
Looking back up the path to the Corrie Kilbo bealech
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Driesh day, but mayar's better here than else where!

Postby ChrisW » Mon May 30, 2011 4:25 pm

Nice report and some great pics Jonny - I loved this walk when I did it, as you say the view of corrie fee when exiting the tree line is fantastic, all in all its a belter :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jonny616 » Tue May 31, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi Chris

A belter indeed. I think i'll do it again with my kids. Maybe camp in corrie fee.

Regards

Jonathan
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby mountain-ju-drop » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:50 pm

Love this walk, especially Corrie Fee. We were there the day before you - made it up Mayar but decided to head down with youngsters as wind so strong, other 3 with us carried on to Driesh. Amazed at how many people were heading up in jeans and trainers!!

jonny616 wrote:I think i'll do it again with my kids. Maybe camp in corrie fee.

Think there may be restrictions about where you can wild camp as it a NNR - but have heard guys in Forestry Commission building suggesting sites where you can.
mountain-ju-drop
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:25   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:4   Islands:18

Postby jonny616 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:19 pm

Hi MJD

Must have been a challenge the day before!

I thought about the park restrictions & spoke to one of the rangers on our return & it is ok with the usual leave no trace ethos when you leave. Just asked me to pay for the parking & leave a note in the window so they do not send out search & rescue looking for us when we don't return to the car.

Regards

Jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Postby ken reid » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:59 pm

just returned from doing this trip but I decided to do it in reverse giving the legs a good workout first thing then a nice strole from the top of the scorrie round to the top of corrie fee and down the corrie back to the car I found doing it this way was better on my knees :thumbup: great pics by the way :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
ken reid
Mountain Walker

Munros:246   

Postby munro baggins » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:14 am

Hi jonny
Re-camping in Corrie Fee. The Rangers at Glen Doll would never advocate that you camp there! There are other places to camp. A NNR such as Corrie Fee should be tent free regardless of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code. I would suggest that you speak to the Rangers again to clarify this.

regards
MB
munro baggins
Hill Bagger

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland