walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Easter on Ben Vane

Easter on Ben Vane

Postby Alastair S » Mon May 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 24/04/2011

Time taken: 5.35 hours

Distance: 11.9 km

Ascent: 959m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

20110424.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ban Vane profile.jpg

Another quick report from a few of weeks ago - Easter Sunday in fact - day two of a Granite City Hillwalkers meet staying at the Ochils Mountaineering Club cottage in Crianlarich. Jim had done his knee in on our way down Ben Vorlich the previous day so it was just me & Kay. Lots of reports for this hill and we just took the std route up & back so I'll make it brief. Started off before 9:00am in good conditions but unfortunately the clag came down by the time we got to around 700m. Didn't come across that many people on the way up but on the way down I don't think I've seen so many folk on a hill before (bar Ben Nevis 35 years ago!). Not sure if this was because it was Easter Sunday or if this is the normal state of affairs for the hills near the central belt on a half-way decent day in spring. Lots of young children too with parents struggling after them. And its not the easiest of hills either, what with the near scramblly bit near the top & the false summits. Anyway after recent Cairngorms epics I found these two a bit of a doddle. Fine hills both. Just a shame I didn't see them at their best. And most disappointingly of all I didn't see anyone rolling their eggs :lol:

Loch Lomond From Inveruglas

Halfway Up Ben Vane

The Clag Gathers

Ascending Ben Vane

Vorlich From Vane (Bens that is)

Stick To The Path

Flickr set over here.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Easter on Ben Vane

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue May 31, 2011 11:40 am

Nice set of photies you have there Alastair
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Re: Easter on Ben Vane

Postby davetherave » Tue May 31, 2011 5:36 pm

Another great set of pics you have there Alastair.

I do agree with you about Ben Vane,for a wee hill I also found it fairly tough to summit for the same reasons as yourself.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland