walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

If at first you don’t succeed, fail and fail again

If at first you don’t succeed, fail and fail again

Postby kevsbald » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:05 am

Munros included on this walk: An Riabhachan

Date walked: 16/03/2024

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 13.8 km

Ascent: 665m

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At the start of lockdown, 4 years ago, I vowed that when I got back into the hills, it would be big hill days. My first foray into the hills was a walk from Killilan over the Corbetts towards Iron Lodge, where I camped beside a very noisy waterfall. I had since been back into that area to grab An Socach and while at the summit, was very conscious of the cornices over to An Riabhachain. I returned with tail between legs. Fail one.

Then, in 2022, I cycled in the entire length of Glen Strathfarrar to the power station, only to realise I had not brought in my hill trainers. I couldn’t walk up An Riabhachain in MTB shoes. Fail two but a nice cycle of 52km.

This year, I had just had some surgery and so this would be 3rd time in, with Graeme D. The day before I had managed up Sgurr na Diollaid, a fine wee hill. But my fitness wasn’t the best and already, I was doubting myself on the sunny morning of our walk. We were away from the dam at 0730 and made good if not squelchy progress along the Loch path. As we started the ascent proper up Mullach a Ghlas Thuill, I began to think that I may not be fit enough for an out and back trip on to this bete noir of Munros. Indeed, as we topped out on this great hill, my mind was made up when I saw the depth of snow over towards our target. It would be hard-going from this point. I clapped Graeme on the back, wished him good luck and hoped he’d succeed after his own misfortune last year during the heat wave. I’m sure his report will summarise his own endeavours.

My descent was uncomplicated and I enjoyed the walk back out especially having the pleasure of the view across Mullardoch to hills already in the bag. With a 17-day window end of May, I’ll be back as one famous Austrian said.
Attachments
IMG_0700.jpeg
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:277   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: If at first you don’t succeed, fail and fail again

Postby Graeme D » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:03 pm

"Hasta la vista baby!" as one famous Austrian also said! My own report will be forthcoming in the next few days I hope! :thumbup:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:125
Fionas:76   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: If at first you don’t succeed, fail and fail again

Postby litljortindan » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:26 pm

No point over doing it if it doesn't feel right. He says, after his own recent struggles in the snow.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:160   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland