walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Seaton Cliffs exploring

Seaton Cliffs exploring

Postby U059361 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:20 pm

Route description: Seaton Cliffs and Auchmithie, Arbroath

Date walked: 02/06/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 4 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was a family day out, my duaghter wanted to go to the seaside and my wife wanted a low lwvel walk, this was the result. Had seen Merry-Walker's report http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11380of the walk before and knew this would be a treat.
Yes the path is still marked closed in two sections, but we still walked the proper route. Its safe enough and plenty of others doing the same.
Park the car at Victoria Park far end beside toilets.
The tarmac path heads up to start of walk and along cliffs. The road closed sign is passed in doing so.
We just walked and looked down at every interesting deature along the way, so didn't make any great progress but we went up and down the slopes a great many times.
Highlights follow:
Arbroath cliffs2 Stitch.jpg
A view back up to cliff top

P6022603.JPG
Needle E'e with happy explorer

P6022604.JPG
Entrance to Mermaid's kirk

Arbroath cliffs4 Stitch.jpg
Mermaid's Kirk I think

P6022610.JPG
The rock fall that closed the path. We walked over on the landward side of path to be sure, there's already a well worn track along it.

P6022620.JPG
The stack of rock guarding entrance to Dickmont's Den inlet

P6022621.JPG
From the bench on promontory, looking back to cave

P6022622.JPG
In the other direction, the Deil's Heid.

P6022623.JPG
Before you get to Carlingheugh bay, there is a stony beach with a cave and two guardians, one looks like a dragon to me.

P6022625.JPG
The path down to the beach in Carlingheugh Bay takes you past an arch

P6022626.JPG
The beach looking back. We walked around the path going out, but back along the beach coming back. The water was too good to miss. So we cooled our hot heals for a while.

P6022627.JPG
We got to the end of the bay, walked to highest point for a look round then walked back to Arbroath.

Once back, we went into town to get some Smokies for tea. Magic.
U059361
Walker

Munros:103   Corbetts:34
Grahams:20   Donalds:27
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:5
Islands:32

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland