walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What a great day for Ben Lomond

What a great day for Ben Lomond

Postby Stephen and Ruby » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:03 am

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 03/06/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 990m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Summer in the Highlands started yesterday Fri 3rd June eh? What a great early morning for Ben Lomond it turned out to be!

Along with my sister-in-law Kiran and cousin Poonam (pictured - for both, their first Munro), we set off stupidly early from Troon so we could start the walk at 6:30 and get to the fab summit at 9:30, and back in time for lunch and the beach with the kids (though we couldn't resist munching our sarnies on the top to take in the perfect views :lol: ) It is tough to choose which way round to go, but we opted for the easier route up this time on the grounds that we would ensure a successful attempt, and looked north and down from the top to check it wasn't too ridiculously steep for the nervous like me :D

Yet again, poor Ruby of 'Stephen and Ruby' was missing from the expedition, but Ruby and I will have to bring the whole family back when the kids legs are slightly longer :)

Well done to Kiran and Poonam on their first Munro, and hopefully they are now hooked - i'll try to assure them it isn't ALWAYS necessary to get up at 4am to climb a Munro!!!
Attachments
IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0617.JPG
IMG_0626.JPG
IMG_0627.JPG
IMG_0630.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG
IMG_0655.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG
IMG_0659.JPG
IMG_0698.JPG
Stephen and Ruby
Mountaineer

Munros:26   Corbetts:16
Grahams:5   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   

Re: What a great day for Ben Lomond

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:58 am

Nice report and beautiful pics - Congratulations to Kiran and Poonam on their first munro - reckon you were a bit cruel with the 4am start though....I didn't know there were two 4 O'clocks in the day until I read this :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: What a great day for Ben Lomond

Postby skuk007 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Congratulations on your first Munro. Great pictures, at least getting up that early when the sun is out means you'll probably get the summit to yourselves for a bit.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland