walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor, by Curved Ridge.

Buachaille Etive Mor, by Curved Ridge.

Postby David Lyall » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Stob Dearg (Buachaille Etive Mòr), Stob na Bròige (Buachaille Etive Mòr)

Date walked: 05/06/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1110m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Andy a friend from work had asked if he could join me on a walk the next time I was going, knowing Andy was inexperienced on the hills, I decided that Buachaille Etive Mor reached by way of Curved Ridge would be a grand day. :D

So myself Andy and Gary a fellow walker set of from Lagangarbh at about 9.30am. The weather was dry but cloud covered all the higher tops in the area.
We followed the well trodden path passed the SMC cottage and took the path to the left when it split and made our way round the front of the Buachaille towards Glen Etive. We carried on passed a couple of water falls until we came to a
water slab shortly after the path zig zags up the hill in different directions but mostly ending up in the same place.
Buachaille Etive Mor 020.jpg
Andy at Curved Ridge

We were reassured that we were at the start of Curved Ridge by a couple of real climbers who had been climbing on the Rannoch wall and abseiled down the ridge.
Buachaille Etive Mor 024.jpg
A good view up Curved Ridge, just follow the leader.

Buachaille Etive Mor 028.jpg
Andy hugs the rock

Buachaille Etive Mor 042.jpg
Me on a tower with Rannoch moor behind

At this point Andy was a bit concerned by the wall of rock that went on and on and disappeared in the clouds, but he carried on and took it one stage at a time. We were glad to see other walkers climbing up the same ridge complete with a dog in the rucksack of one of the walkers.
After stopping for a few photo opportunities we made it to the top of Stob Dearg. We had a well deserved break
We then headed along the ridge destination Stob na Brioge. The cloud had lifted completely and the path and route ahead were easy to follow. We got to the top of Stob na Doire,
Buachaille Etive Mor 049.jpg
Me, Andy and Gary at our first top Stob Dearg 1022m

Buachaille Etive Mor 065.jpg
Andy and gary at the top of Stob na Doire, with Stob Dearg behind

then it was a long drop down to the bealach, Andy Decided that he would take the path back to the car at this point and Gary and I headed for the last top. We made to the top of Stob na Brioge and enjoyed the views down to Loch Etive as well as the views back along the Buachaille.
After that we headed back to the bealach and followed the long steep tricky in places path to the Lairig Gartain a supper path that led us back to the A82.
Buachaille Etive Mor 087.jpg
Gary and Andy at the side of the A82 with Buachaille Etive Mor looking unassailable behind.

All in All it had been a great day topped of with a quick refreshment in the Kinghouse before heading back to Dumbarton.
Thanks to Andy and Gary.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor, by Curved Ridge.

Postby davetherave » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:17 am

Well done Dave, but what about Andy !
And that 1st photo with Andy with his thumb up,is he happy or is he thinking something very different. :?

David Lyall wrote:Andy a friend from work had asked if he could join me on a walk the next time I was going, knowing Andy was inexperienced on the hills, I decided that Buachaille Etive Mor reached by way of Curved Ridge would be a grand day.

You wicked wicked man. :lol:

Always love reading reports on The Curved ridge.. Must pluck up the courage some day.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby skuk007 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Great photos Dave, must agree with davetherave Andy doesn't really look too sure in that first one. Fair play to him for compleating it via this route. :clap:
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby Jock McJock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:32 am

Love reading Curved Ridge reports. Def one that I'd lke to do one day. Loved the pics too. Well done to your mate for going for it. Was there a point when he said to you WTF!! :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby David Lyall » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:22 am

Ye it would be true to say that Andy was less than happy a couple of times when he looked at the next section we had to climb, but he kept going and has a day to remember. Thanks for all the coment.
David Lyall
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   

Postby Caledonia84 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:25 pm

Really nice report, I really like the expression on your friends face in the first picture, I bet he said something along the lines of

"up there!?, are you having a f*%@ing laugh?" :shock:
Caledonia84
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby rocket-ron » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:37 pm

looks a great day out well done
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:93
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby nathan79 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:31 pm

I was just reading about Curved Ridge in teh lastest Trail magazine the other day. Looks far more suited to me then the Aonach Eagach. Hoping to do BEM this weekend by the more conventional route, but curved ridge is one for the future i hope.

And the big question is David, will Andy be joining you again, or have you put him off for life?! :D
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby andybygsi » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:14 pm

nathan79 wrote:I was just reading about Curved Ridge in teh lastest Trail magazine the other day. Looks far more suited to me then the Aonach Eagach. Hoping to do BEM this weekend by the more conventional route, but curved ridge is one for the future i hope.

And the big question is David, will Andy be joining you again, or have you put him off for life?! :D

ill be back dont worry, feel a bit betrayed with this one though.

want to go a WALK andy?, yes davie thatd be cool

you ok with some rock scrambling?, erm yea i suppose so

at no point was i expecting this, loved it though, even though i look petrified
andybygsi
Munro compleatist

Munros:3   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland