walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

What's in Storr behind the Old Man?

What's in Storr behind the Old Man?

Postby thepigguy » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:26 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Hartaval, The Storr

Date walked: 12/06/2024

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 909m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

StorrandHartaval.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

It was quarter to seven in the morning at the bus stop just outside Portree and for a short while Skye felt the same as it did when I first visited 40 years ago.

The 57A bus roared up the Staffin Road bang on time and the drive seemed slightly surprised to be picking up passengers (there was one other, a French backpacker). We bumped along for 15 minutes before the driver asked where I was walking and I was dropped off at the big (possibly not big enough) car park for the Old Man of Storr.

I stumped across the virtually empty tarmac to the gate at the start of the excellent path up towards the Old Man. There were two or three other folk around, but it was it was pleasantly quiet as I made decent progress and was by the Old Man in about 30 minutes just as a couple were packing up their drone.

storr1.jpg
Skye - even the bus stops have great views

storr2.jpg
Nice and quiet at the Storr car park

storr3.jpg
The Old Man is hidden by the cliffs behind

storr4.jpg
Up to the Old Man

storr5.jpg
Needle Rock with the path heading away from the Old Man

storr6.jpg
Needle/Cathedral Rock

I spent a good 20 minutes looking around and taking pictures. It was a real delight to have the place almost to myself - something which I would appreciate fully later on. Then I made my way past the viewpoint at 503m and over the stile onto the path out to The Storr, pausing for a last few photos.

The WH route takes you along, below the ridge to loop round and gradually up to the top. I decided to head straight up, keeping near the edge of the cliff. There is an intermittent path that goes past several good view/photo points before cutting west to find a gap in the rocks that took me onto the grassy summit plateau of The Storr (grassy except for round the trig). I stayed for a good 20 minutes, having the place to myself which, even at a fairly early hour, I hadn't expected. It's a terrific place for views to the Red Hills, Black Cuillin, Macleod's Tables and, of course, the ridge heading north and south. Fantastic.

storr7.jpg
South from the path up, the Red Cuillin in the distance

storr8.jpg
Choice of paths, both involving a minor bit of scrambling. I went right

storr8a.jpg
At this cairn there's another choice. The WH route is straight ahead. I went left, straight up towards The Storr.

storr9.jpg
Up near the cliff edge

storr10.jpg
Mind the gap

storr11.jpg
Looking back at Coire Scamadal

storr12.jpg
The path swings away from the edge and then up

storr13.jpg
More Trotternish

storr14.jpg
The ridge just short of the Storr summit

storr15.jpg
Top of The Storr

storr16.jpg
Trotternish Ridge looking towards Portree

I had made good time to the top so decided there I had more than enough time and energy for Hartaval as well. It looked a fair drop down to the bealach between the hills, but it was mostly on easy grass with a few rocks and a couple of boggy bits to watch out for.

There's a path of sorts that roughly follows the few survivors of a line of metal fence posts up the hill and it was a straightforward climb to the top for excellent views north along the Trotternish Ridge.

While The Storr still has the feeling of being attached to a tourist attraction, Hartaval has a feeling of space of solitude. I liked it very much.

storr17.jpg
Near the top of Hartaval

storr18.jpg
Hartaval summit

After a short spell at the top, I made my way down to the bottom ready for what the OS map reckons is exactly 100m of reascent before joining the path back towards the Old Man, turning the corner to be confronted with the hordes swarming around the Old Man and the Needle. To be fair, it's a reasonable climb up to 500m, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, but I can't help but reflect on what Skye used to be like and what it can be like if you just go that tiny bit further.

storr19.jpg
Looking back at Hartaval

storr20.jpg
The path back to the Old Man and the hordes
thepigguy
Walker

Munros:3   Corbetts:5
Fionas:14   Donalds:27+11
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:7
Islands:24

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland