walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

DeafBlind Man summits Ben Lomond - next stop Ben Nevis!

DeafBlind Man summits Ben Lomond - next stop Ben Nevis!

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:03 am

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 04/06/2011

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 12.6 km

Ascent: 1055m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

For months we have been planning for Dads big adventure to celebrate his 70th Birthday this year.
The adventure has changed over the months as we learned together what Dads abilities are on a hill and how well equipped we are to help him achieve his challenge.
Finally we decided that in July we are going to tackle Ben Nevis to raise funds for charity.
Ben Nevis is a serious undertaking for most reasonably fit people, let alone someone who has entered his seventh decade, suffered a severe break in his hip 18 months ago and has had dual sensory impairment since an early age. Dad is both blind and deaf and wants to undertake this challenge in order to raise awareness of this condition as well as raise funds for DeafBlind Scotland.

Thanks to extraordinary support from the walking community on Twitter, we hooked up with Lucy (@snoweider), a mountain leader and wildlife guide on Arran who runs her own company Arran Wild Walks offering a fantastic array of courses and guided walks.
Lucy wanted to get involved with Dads challenge and has very kindly agreed to be our guide up Ben Nevis in July.
So, 9am on an overcast Saturday morning we met up with Lucy at the Rowardennan car park to walk Ben Lomond together. The notion being it would give Lucy and Dad the opportunity to get to know one another, assess what support Dad needs and for Lucy to understand what it takes to guide someone with Dads impairments up and down a hill.
Whilst Dad can hear with hearing aids, the elements play a huge factor and if it's windy or raining hard it really scuppers his hearing and as guides we can't rely on it. We therefor use a combination of walking pole for support and dad holding on to one of our arms so he can feel whether he's being guided up or down. On uneven paths one of us also holds on to his back pack to stem a possible fall. That said he's perfected the art of gracefully 'sitting down' on descents without doing too much damage!
Lucy took to guiding Dad within minutes after we gave her a taste of what it's like being guided blind across a rocky path herself.

It was a fantastic day out on this magnificent mountain for all of us and we learnt a lot.
I will stick to boots that I know are comfortable as my toes felt pretty crippled for the last 3 hours, Fiona will always carry an insulation layer and Dad will slow down a little when it comes to the steep scrambly bits!
The only pity was that the mountain was swathed in cloud from about the 500m line so there were no views to be had. That however, did not detract from a fantastic sense of achievement and there were tears of joy when Dad touched the trig point of his first Munro!
We know we are in for a very long day on the mountain but having had this experience together, the GO button for Ben Nevis has well and truly been pushed.

Please message me if there is any way you can support us whether that be joining the team, helping to raise funds, donating kit or gear, PR or just for moral support! :D :thumbup:

If you would like to support Dad in raising funds for DeafBlind Scotland, please visit our http://www.justgiving.com/teams/deafblindclimb/ page and be generous!

Ben+Lomond%2C+4+June+005.JPG
Lucy, Michael & Fiona setting off through the midges!

Ben+Lomond%2C+4+June+010.JPG
Slapping on the midge repellant - they were out in force!

Ben+Lomond%2C+4+June+017.JPG
Lucy having a go at guiding Michael

Ben+Lomond%2C+4+June+035.JPG
Pretty much the only view we had for most of the day!

Ben+Lomond%2C+4+June+040.JPG
More layers on as we headed into the cloud

Ben+Lomond%2C+4+June+043.JPG
Tired but very happy to reach the summit

Ben+Lomond%2C+4+June+047.JPG
The two stars of the day, Michael and Lucy

Ben+Lomond%2C+4+June+049.JPG
Michael's first Munro in the bag! He was incredibly impressive!

Ben+Lomond%2C+4+June+053.JPG
Sweeping view down to Loch Lomond... Not!

Ben+Lomond%2C+4+June+069.JPG
Things had cleared a little at lower level by late afternoon, giving a glimpse of what might have been.

Ben+Lomond%2C+4+June+074.JPG
The Ptarmigan ridge.. maybe another day!

Ben+Lomond%2C+4+June+075.JPG
The team descending back into the woods to become Midge Supper!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Munros:12   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:24
Islands:14

Re: DeafBlind Man summits Ben Lomond - next stop Ben Nevis!

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:36 pm

Ooops, with ref to kit, we're after size 8 boots pref B1 but not essential, a rigid sole is though. As well as that a size L or XL hardshell, windproof and trousers so if any of you have some old rejects let me know please. Thanks ever so! :D :D :D
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby Stretch » Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:10 pm

Amazing stuff Smirnie, congrats to your dad for this incredible achievement. All the best with the Ben Nevis walk!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby darren » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:19 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: Outstanding stuff, all the best for Nevis
darren
Munro compleatist

Munros:35   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Stretch wrote:Amazing stuff Smirnie, congrats to your dad for this incredible achievement. All the best with the Ben Nevis walk!

Thank you Stretch! It was a fabulous day and I'm so chuffed for Dad that he made it. Slightly happy to achieve my third munro too.. hehe!
I'm looking for a few more team members who are experienced walkers so if you're at a lose end around 21 July.... :D :D :D :D :D :D
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby smirnie71 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:36 pm

darren wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: Outstanding stuff, all the best for Nevis

Thank you very much indeed! I'm really looking forward to it :D ,dreading it :roll: , looking forward to it :D Lol
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby Jock McJock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:19 am

What an achievement, well done. Good luck with the big Ben. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:38 am

Brilliant and an inspiration to us all. Good luck to you all on the next summit...
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby smirnie71 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:00 am

Jock McJock wrote:What an achievement, well done. Good luck with the big Ben. :D

Thank you so much, it's lovely of you to say so and we're all excited about the 'Big One'! :o :o :o
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby smirnie71 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:01 am

Paul Webster wrote:Brilliant and an inspiration to us all. Good luck to you all on the next summit...

Hi Paul, thank you so much!
Next walk is in a fortnight up Ben Vrackie - that's the plan anyhoo! I will be sure to post up our report :D :D :D :D
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby MG1976 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:21 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I THINK THAT JUST ABOUT COVERS IT.
Martin
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5

Postby smirnie71 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:29 am

MG1976 wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I THINK THAT JUST ABOUT COVERS IT.
Martin

Martin thank you so much, on a tiring day this has cheered me up no end. Next time I see Dad I will share your message, it's brilliant!
Nina
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby erin_niamh » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:57 pm

WELL DONE!!! What an achievement and what an inspiration to everybody! :D It goes to show that anything can be done if you are determined and have the right attitude!

I'd love to join you on the Ben Nevis climb and help raise some money :D I agreed to something yesterday that will be happening on the 19/20/21st, will find out asap if I can get out of it

fairly new to all of this myself so dont have much gear but anything else I can do to help just say :D

well done again!
erin_niamh
Mountaineer

Munros:147   Corbetts:16
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby smirnie71 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:26 pm

Hello Erin or are you Niamh?

We're actually up in bonnie Scotland this weekend for a practises walk with some other members of the team so if you're around it'd be great to meet.
Drop me a line with your number & we can discuss.

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement!

All the best,

Nina
smirnie71
Munro compleatist

Postby Johnny Corbett » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:06 pm

I was a bit apprehensive when i first heard about your dad climbing a Munro, more for his safety due to his disabilities, but glad to be proved wrong. It appears your dad is in safe hands, well done girls and to dad, and good luck with Ben Nevis.
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland