walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Quoich Expedition

Loch Quoich Expedition

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:24 am

Munros included on this walk: Gairich, Gleouraich, Sgùrr Mòr (Loch Quoich), Spidean Mialach

Corbetts included on this walk: Fraoch Bheinn, Sgùrr an Fhuarain, Sgùrr Cos na Breachd-laoidh

Date walked: 03/06/2011

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 1 17k 1895m

At last some decent weather! Off to Loch Quoich on Thursday evening. Tent up near the dam next to a campervan where a woman in a pinny was cooking something delicious-smelling (but then she spent ages washing up – there is a downside to everything!). Up early and away across the dam
IMG_2746.JPG
and through the bog towards the bottom of the east ridge of Gairich. The broad ridge climbed gradually enough
IMG_2747.JPG
IMG_2749.JPG
Glen Kingie
until the final push up through steeper, rocky terrain to reach the summit cairn.
IMG_2754.JPG
Curse of the mobile phone - a message from work!
Unfortunately it was then necessary to lose almost all the height we had gained as we descended over Gairich Beag and down the bridge across the burn at the foot of the east ridge of Sgurr an Fhuarain. This seemed very daunting to me – long and steep. There was a point when I thought I would not make it (feeble or what!) but I just kept plodding on as Katie loped easily along ahead. It was desperately hot (always complaining about the weather!) but I eventually made it to the summit cairn and trig point.
IMG_2756.JPG
Still alive - but it was close!
Then down again and up again to Sgurr Mor.
IMG_2758.JPG
Sgurr Mor
Then down and up again to Sgurr Beag! Plan A had been to carry on over An Eag and then camp on the bealach between there and Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoigh. At this point my legs demanded respite and so Plan B came into force as we descended to Glen Kingie and found somewhere to camp in its upper reaches.

Day 2 21k 1462m

Another early start as we headed for the aforementioned bealach. There is, in fact, a good place to camp up there beside a small lochan sheltered by a wall. From there we followed the remains of the wall up the steep slope to the summit of Sgurr Cos na Breachd-laoigh.
IMG_2765.JPG
Follow the wall
IMG_2768.JPG
The previous day's walk
The subsequent walk round the ridge to Druim a’Chuirn was excellent with great views in to Glen Dessary
IMG_2775.JPG
Glen Dessary
and across to Gulvain and Streap.
IMG_2772.JPG
We dropped down the south-east ridge, crossed the burn and then climbed up past small crags to the south ridge of Fraoch Bheinn. After a spot of lunch I broke the news to Katie that there was no way I could manage another Corbett so Sgurr Mhurlagain would have to wait for another day. The descent to Glen Kingie
IMG_2776.JPG
Descent to Glen Kingie
down the north-east ridge was initially very pleasant over rocky knolls. But then there was a horrible, boggy, tussocky stretch down to the river. The river crossing was entertaining and involved some rather undignified manoeuvres as the bank on the other side was rather undercut but we managed to get across with dry feet and then commenced the long walk back out to the dam.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Day 3 11.5k 1280m

A short day today – Gleouraich and Spidean Mialach. We parked at the lay-by under the weather station and walked about 2km down the road towards Kinlochhourn before turning up alongside the Allt Coire Peitreach. An excellent path zig-zags up to the south-west the ridge
IMG_2786.JPG
Ascending Gleouraich
and then follows the very edge of it to its junction with the north ridge. The views down the loch and also of Sgurr a’Mhaoraich and the Glen Sheil hills
IMG_2787.JPG
were magnificent. We planned future expeditions as we walked along and reminisced about previous exploits. The summit cairn of Gleouraich
IMG_2788.JPG
Gleouraich
was soon reached and we then headed off towards Spidean Mialach.
IMG_2792.JPG
This was quite and interesting ridge, with huge, rocky corries to the north although it involved a lot of descent and ascent – but at least we were not carrying the camping gear this time.
IMG_2796.JPG
Spidean Mialach
The summit cairn occupies a superb viewpoint.
IMG_2804.JPG
Then a good stony path leads down to the bog again passing to the west of Loch Fearna. We followed the burn down – some great skinny dipping pools here for a warmer day! – before regaining the road just west of the weather station. A great few days rounded off by tea and cakes in Fort William.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Loch Quoich Expedition

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:50 pm

Great report from a stunning part of the Highlands.

After a spot of lunch I broke the news to Katie that there was no way I could manage another Corbett

A bit of a slave-driver?
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby rocket-ron » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:18 pm

You girls like your long hikes
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:94
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby PeteR » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Some nice pictures of a great area :D Quite a hike you both had there too. At least you had some good weather, after so much rain recently. I remember Gleouraich and pal on a very wet and windy day last year. Didn't see a thing all day :lol: Now I can see what I missed.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:36 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Great report from a stunning part of the Highlands.

After a spot of lunch I broke the news to Katie that there was no way I could manage another Corbett

A bit of a slave-driver?

Yes she is :crazy: but trying to keep up with her keeps me fit - I think :roll:
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:41 pm

Another fine report,and another long expidition to boot,don"t know where you get all your energy from.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Well done - a perfect outing (though I don't quite get the tea and cakes bit :) ) : great pics and a super report that inspires more trekking.
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby Jock McJock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:31 pm

Nice report and pics. Got that one filed away nicely now for future reference :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby malky_c » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:56 am

A good route, although you seem to have designed it for maximum descent between each summit :lol: You can console yourself that in missing out Sgurr Mhurlagan, you got to go over the NE ridge of Fraoch Bheinn, which is definitely its best feature, and one most people seem to miss out on.

Nice report. I'm not jelous at all... :mrgreen:
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Gable Gable End » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:04 am

Nice report; I have something similar in mind for summer :)
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland