walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Beag and Aonoch Mor

Aonach Beag and Aonoch Mor

Postby Les Stuart » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Route description: Aonach Beag and Aonach Mòr from Glen Nevis

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mòr

Date walked: 04/06/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1200m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Due to the poor weather we had the past month and a wedding the wife and I were at the previous weekend, I was having withdrawal symptoms and also running behind the hill walking programme that I had set out for May and June.
On Friday evening I drove up to Fort William and stayed overnight with friends and on Saturday morning arrived at the car park at the top of the glen to commence the walk of the two Aonachs. I was feeling a little apprehensive about my fitness as I had not been out on the hills for five weeks and although I had done some cycling, as I was to discover later in the day, my lack of fitness would catch up with me.
IMG_4841_edited-1.jpg
Steall Waterfall

IMG_4840_edited-1.jpg
Bridge

Left the car about 9.30am and headed through the Nevis gorge into the open glen and it is always a great sight to see
the Steall Waterfall. There was also a queue of walkers to go across the rope bridge. I moved on and reaching the Steall Cottage ruin I took the path behind the ruin and headed north east aiming for Sgurr a' Bhuic. On looking up the cloud was fairly low though south across to the Mamores the hills were clear.
IMG_4842_edited-1.jpg
The route ahead

IMG_4843_edited-1.jpg
Sgurr a' Mhaim

IMG_4844_edited-1.jpg
An Gearanach

IMG_4845_edited-1.jpg
Binnein Mor

However as I gained height the cloud lifted and by the time I reached the south west ridge of Surr a' Bhuic it looked as if the mist was only lying on the summit of Aonach Beag. At this point I decided to traverse round Sgurr a' Bhuic and pick the ridge up between Sgurr a' Bhuic and Stob Coire Bhealaich. On this ridge there are great views to the east of the Grey Corries with no mist on their summits.
IMG_4846_edited-1.jpg
The Grey Corries

IMG_4847_edited-1.jpg
Sgurr a' Bhuic

On reaching Stob Coire Bhealaich I headed for Aonach Beag and was joined by a guy from the Borders and we completed the walk to the summit together.
IMG_4848_edited-1.jpg
Aonach Beag in mist

By now my lack of fitness had caught up with me and my thigh muscles were aching. We had a brief rest and being in the mist there were no views. We set off for Aonach Mor and after droping down through rocky ground to the bealach I was pleased to see that it was a gradual slope to the summit. Managed to get a view as the mist lifted just as we were approaching.
IMG_4850_edited-1.jpg
Aonach Mor

IMG_4851_edited-1.jpg
Summit Aonach Mor

After lunch I set off back along the ridge to look for the path that would take me down to the bealach between the west cliff of Aonach Mor and Carn Mor Dearg. The guy that I was with set off for the ski centre as his son was watching the World Mountain Bike Championships that was taking place on the lower slopes of Aonach Mor.
IMG_4852_edited-1.jpg
West Cliff of Aonach Mor

I had trouble finding the path so set off down the steep face of the cliff and eventually reached the bealach. From there it was a straight walk south down Coire Giubhsachan, with all the rain we have had was like a bog and the path kept disappearing in places.
IMG_4853_edited-1.jpg
Coire Giubhsachan

Picked up the Glen Nevis path to get back to the car. It was a good day with no rain and mist only on the summits though the Ben was covered in cloud all day.
Hopefully my fitness is back up as I am off to Skye in two weeks with friends.
Les Stuart

Munros:226   Corbetts:6

Re: Aonach Beag and Aonoch Mor

Postby skuk007 » Sun May 13, 2012 12:00 am

Nice report Les, hoping to do this walk this summer so good to see some of the hills I will get to view on the route.

When returning to the path in Glen Nevis did the path (when you could see one) through the Coire have the river on it's left or right?
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland