walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mount Blair - wall-to-wall sunshine and the winds of change

Mount Blair - wall-to-wall sunshine and the winds of change

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:48 am

Route description: Mount Blair

Fionas included on this walk: Mount Blair

Date walked: 03/06/2011

Time taken: 1.2 hours

Distance: 3.5 km

Ascent: 375m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After the unseasonably good weather of April and the unseasonably foul month of May with it's wintery gales and fallen trees, June had made a promising start. The first Friday of the month marked the end of exam leave for students before the launch of the new timetable the following Monday, and with the sun splitting the bricks, I decided to make the most of the last of my teaching-free Friday afternoons to once again head for the hills.

I had used the last three days of my Paternity Leave at the beginning of the week to move house, a move that had left me feeling a little emotionally raw and reflective, so I felt the need for a bit of hill time. You don't shut the door and walk away forever from the house that you have lived in for 8 years, that you have basically gutted and totally renovated, that you got married in (well, not literally, but you know what I mean) and that your first born child came home to from the hospital, without feeling a little emotional. But then 2011 has been a real year of change in so many ways, both professionally and personally. The winds of change have been howling through the trees of my life. But heh, it might all be a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, but it's all good stuff. As Mr Stipe says - "Don't forget that change will save you".

I settled on the often driven past but not previously climbed Mount Blair. I hadn't claimed a new Graham since Creag Bhalg back way back in January so I was fair buzzing with anticipation as I parked by the gate a short way over the P&K/Angus border on the B951 road into Glen Isla.

I quickly booted up and traveled light - very light. A small daypack with a bottle of water, a first aid kit, an emergency tinfoil blanket and a spare long sleeved top. That and the shorts and short sleeved top I was standing up in. And the sunnies to protect against the glorious sunshine. And then I was off and up the grassy track past the sheep and their paraphernalia to the gate, then onto the more solid and defined track all the way up to the summit decorated with trig point, view indicator-cum-shelter structure thingy and massive transmitter mast. Despite the unsightly hardware, I was content to linger for 10-15 minutes at the summit and enjoy the panoramic views before returning to the car via the same route.

This looks like the more straightforward and less interesting ascent route onto Mount Blair (it certainly looks more interesting from the other side) and it provided me with one of my quickest hills ever - up and back down to the car in an just over an hour and ten. Set me right up for the weekend that did! 8)

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMG_6824.JPG
Start on the B951

IMG_6825.JPG
A steep ol' start

IMG_6826.JPG
Aaawwww - bless! Or future lamb madras. You decide!

IMG_6827.JPG
The car is already a rapidly shrinking speck on the road

IMG_6830.JPG
Across the shoulder of Duchray Hill to the Spittal of Glenshee with Ben Gulabin and Glas Tulaichean in the centre in the far distance

IMG_6832.JPG
The neighbouring Graham of Duchray Hill across the B951 with Creag Leacach and Glas Maol on the horizon beyond

IMG_6833.JPG
First sighting of the summit hardware

IMG_6835.JPG
Made it!

IMG_6837.JPG
Memorial plaque - it's a popular place!

IMG_6838.JPG
Distant Mayar and Driesh

IMG_6839.JPG
Go west!

IMG_6840.JPG
Wider pano out west

IMG_6841.JPG
The obligatory self-timer summit shot

IMG_6847.JPG
That bloody Schiehallion gets everywhere!

IMG_6848.JPG
Mayar and Driesh again

IMG_6849.JPG
North to the Glenshee and Braemar hills with the Cairnwell mast visible

IMG_6850.JPG
Mount Blair from the A93 near the Blackwater Outdoor Centre
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Mount Blair - wall-to-wall sunshine and the winds of change

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:23 pm

Nice report Graeme and some great views from a little 'un - was that shelter/view indicator damaged or new (under construction) :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:14 pm

ChrisW wrote:Nice report Graeme and some great views from a little 'un - was that shelter/view indicator damaged or new (under construction) :D

Cheers Chris. There's a reference to it on a previous, much earlier Mount Blair report on here, where it was suggested that it might have been cannibalised by trophy hunters, but I reckon it's just been damaged by the elements. One section of the display is lying on the ground and another seems to be missing entirely. It could be on someone's mantelpiece I guess! :shifty:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:50 pm

Good stuff Graeme - at this rate you'll be finished the Grahams and the sub 2000s before you're half way round the munros :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland