walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Drumochter 3 instead of 2

Drumochter 3 instead of 2

Postby Ray Mackay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:14 pm

Route description: A' Mharconaich and Geal Chàrn, Drumochter

Munros included on this walk: A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain, Geal-chàrn (Drumochter)

Date walked: 06/06/2011

Time taken: 4.9 hours

Distance: 16.9 km

Ascent: 950m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So Martin's kids were off today so we knew that he would'nt be able to go walking until about 12 O'clock, with a 40 minute drive from Aviemore to Drumochter it was 1 o'clock before we got walking, so the plan was only to do the 2 Northern Munro's on the West side of the A9, Geal-chàrn and A' Mharconaich,

Clouds were covering the summits when we left from the carpark at Balsporran Cottages, so wasn't confident of great views or photos from the top, :( headed over the railway line with Keisha in tow (the dug) she is 12 now and just bagged the 3 Munro's at Creag Meagaidh on Saturday so wasn't fully recovered after decending down through 'the window' anyway, she is still more than capable of doing the 2 Munro's planned for today, (well that was the plan)

After reaching the top of Geal-chàrn the clouds had allready lifted and there was 3 lovely ladys just chilling taking in the beautiful views of Loch Ericht and the Ben Alder Forest, so they were the photographer for the first summit Photo of the day, we looked over towards A' Mharconaich and asked the lady's about Beinn Udlamain, which did'nt seem that much to add on to the planned walk, so the plan then changed,

From Geal-chàrn we headed down and towards Beinn Udlamain, were the path soon disapeared and we found ourselves walking up a very steep section to get onto the well worn path that everbody else would normally take :lol: stopped at the Cairn of Beinn Udlamain for a light lunch as the wind chill was what i can only describe as 'Chilly' :lol: no body here to take the summit picture for us this time so it was out with the remote and the camera perched on a stone,

So off to A' Mharconaich we headed were Martin then told me how the boots he was wearing were starting to hurt his left foot, he failed to mention at the start of the walk that in fact he had never wore this pair of boots before, so sticking with the 2 Munro plan might actually had been the best plan, oh well too late now, so it was a very quick stop at the Cairn of A' Mharconaich for a quick picture (no messing about setting up the camera on a rock with the remote this time) and headed back down the path towards the carpark,

soon we were to be up to our ankles in the wet peat bogs near the bottom were i then checked the Satmap to find we were way of course and we were just heading towards the car by how the crow flys :lol:

Back at the car, boots off to Martins relief and Keisha straight into the back seat of the car and was sound asleep in minutes, everything intact and not even a blister...nor even a rain shower the whole day in fact, great 3 Munro's but all 4 (Sgairneach Mhor) could have been done if set out earlier

good excuse for returning to do Sgairneach Mhor and take in the Corbett of 'The Sow of Atholl' another day
Attachments
IMG_3095.JPG
A' Mharconaich on the left and Geal-chàrn on the right.
IMG_3063.JPG
summit of Beinn Udlamain using camera remote
IMG_3086.JPG
Looking back at A' Mharconaich on way down
IMG_3084.JPG
Me and Keisha on A' Mharconaich, with A9 heading North in background
IMG_3078.JPG
Martins Titanic pose on A' Mharconaich
IMG_3054.JPG
Martin and I on the summit of Geal-chàrn like an advert for The North Face haha
IMG_3050.JPG
View from the top of Geal-chàrn along Loch Ericht
IMG_3045.JPG
first cairn (but not summit cairn) on Geal-chàrn

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Ray Mackay
Mountain Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Drumochter 3 instead of 2

Postby rocket-ron » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:25 pm

good report keisha looks a big dog
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:93
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:15   

Postby Ray Mackay » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:50 pm

rocket-ron wrote:good report keisha looks a big dog

she is in the foreground right enough, she's almost the same size as me there....and my mum spoils her when i'm away at work :lol:
Ray Mackay
Mountain Walker

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:59 pm

Bit of a different route - most would normally do the 4 (with or without the corbett) or the 2. Still you got better weather than me a week and a bit ago and you do get some nice views. :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby HeelanGal » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Very Impressed but also Very Envious, you're bagging too many without your big Sista :lol: Fantastic Report Mr Mackay, weather looked spot on & the Fotties are Fabulous as per usual :D
xxx
HeelanGal
Mountain Walker

Munros:2   

Postby valmar1965 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:30 pm

sorry walking neighbour bagged the 3 today (cracking day & a good walk with dad) 8)
valmar1965
Munro compleatist

Munros:38   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Ray Mackay » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:27 pm

valmar1965 wrote:sorry walking neighbour bagged the 3 today (cracking day & a good walk with dad) 8)

i was too busy getting drunk jumping up and down in a muddy field at Rockness music festival to be walking the hills this weekend neighbour... :D
Ray Mackay
Mountain Walker

Postby Didi Gee » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:08 pm

How long did it take you? How long would the 4 take, do you thinK? Cameron McNeish says 6-8 hours but... :o
Didi Gee

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:136
Wainwrights:214   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland