walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bla Bheinn (Blaven), Cuillin - Isle of Skye

Bla Bheinn (Blaven), Cuillin - Isle of Skye

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Route description: Blà Bheinn (Blaven)

Munros included on this walk: Blà Bheinn

Date walked: 04/06/2011

Time taken: 5.75 hours

Distance: 8.4 km

Ascent: 986m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Sat 04/06/2011
Title - Bla Bheinn (Blaven), Cuillin - Isle of Skye
Route - From W side of Loch Slapin ascending via E ridge. Return same way.
Weather - Excellent - sunny with patchy cloud. Light breeze
People - Me / Iain
Time - 5h 45m
Distance - 8.4km
Ascent - 990m
Max Altitude - 928m

Bla Bheinn, Skye (4 June 2011) Route GPX 8.4km.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I’ve done a bit of wandering in Skye over the years- stuff like Coral Beaches, Quiraing circuit, Spar Cave and Coire Lagan but this was to be my first attempt at summiting one of the big peaks on Skye – Bla Bheinn, well known for being the only Munro on Skye that is set apart from the other 11 on the main Cuillin Ridge. As the walk description states, the trade route is easy by Cuillin standards. There’s some loose rocky paths to deal with, a small scree gully, and a few easy scrambles but otherwise there’s nothing to deter most from attempting the route. Lots of optional scrambling available too.

There are several route options possible on Bla Bheinn- such as the SE ridge, or the longer and more scrambly S ridge (I’ll be back for that), or some much harder scrambles on the N & NE faces for the more adventurous.

As I was out with my brother (total beginner) today I stuck to the trade route in order to avoid any increased difficulties such as the crossing from S to N summit which you’d have to do by most other routes. During the week the forecasts were varying but we stuck to plan A of doing this on the Sat (Fri was an option) which worked out perfectly. There was little wind and we had sunshine all day. It looked like we might just get good views from the summit after all :)

Stopped beside Loch Slapin for some shots of the hill

Walked W along the path on the N side of the Allt na Dunaiche

First waterfall

Second waterfall

Eastern faces of Bla Bheinn & Clach Glas

A lone walker at the bottom of the SE ridge

After about an hour we were in Coire Uaigneich. I was careful not to make the common mistake of going too far into the corrie before turning right to go up the E ridge. Starting up the ridge there's traces of a loose path that becomes more obvious as you go further up.

Gaining height the views started to open up

Looking SE over Loch Fionna-choire

Eigg & Rum

E over An Stac to Loch Slapin. And (I think) Loch Hourn & Barrisdale Bay (top centre) and Loch Nevis (top right)

Me on an airy perch above the eastern cliffs (with the Great Prow behind (I think))

Bealach between Bla Bheinn & Clach Glas

Garbh-bheinn (left) & Clach Glas (centre)

Approaching the summit cloud was building and swirling around all over the place

Thankfully most of it cleared as quickly as it formed (although the main ridge was trying it's best to hold on to it)

Amazing views from up here 8)

Cuillin Ridge (click to open large)

Inn Pinn (centre)

Red Hills

Garbh-bheinn

Looking South

East

East (zoomed)

Looking to the S summit from N (true) summit

I went to the bealach between the summits to check out the routes up to the S summit. I gather the ledge to the left is the most common route- It's a bit crumbly in places and damp but is easy enough (although exposed) and I went half way along it but didn't go all the way as it kind of fades out and you require to commit a bit more to continue or opt to go directly up the rock. As my brother was with me but definitely not doing this (we'd never planned it anyway) I knew I'd have to go back across so didn't bother. Michelle and I have plans to do the S ridge up Bla Bheinn taking in both tops in the future so I'll give it another go then. I didn't look at it closely but there's an alternative option of a gully to the left of the ledge which I've heard some claim is better- a bit loose inside but otherwise secure and less exposed. Avoiding both these bypasses and going directly up the rock also looks possible.

Gully on far left. Ledge left of centre. Or any other line you like up the rock.

Descending from summit. Progress was quick on the way down but tricky on the looser terrain sections. Over before you know it though.

Soon enough we were back on the corrie floor, looking back up

The massive boulder in Coire Uaigneich

The walk out

Finished off with a meal at the Slig then I took my bro on a drive north to Trotternish (to show him a bit more of Skye- his first time here) before turning round and heading back to Inverness.

A last look at Skye

Eilean Donan Castle

Brilliant day 8) Next Skye plan is in the making 8)

================================

Early in the morning there was rockfall on the slope of Sgurr nan Eag on the main Cuillin Ridge. I wasn't around then but foggieclimber heard it and Chirs seen it happen- pics are in foggies report (Marvellous Marsco (from Coruisk)). I didn't spot the wreckage from so far away but looked at my pics once I'd found out about it and it's noticeable

HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Bla Bheinn (Blaven), Cuillin - Isle of Skye

Postby Stretch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:43 pm

Sweet! Love the second waterfall pic Scott, that's calendar material. What a great way for your bro to get his first taste of Skye!
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:00 pm

some cracking pics... nice report
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby gammy leg walker » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Looks as if you had a fine day going by your pics.Bla Bheinn was my first munro on Skye with Alan my son-in -law,where we got no views at all from the top,thanks for posting so we can see what we missed :lol:
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby The-Big-Grey-Man » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:42 pm

I so wish I had been able to climb Bla Bheinn when i was there a few weeks ago but the weather didn't play game, the south ridge looks like a fantastic walk, and was the way i was intending to climb it. The path between the two summits is really the only way to do it, from what ive heard.
The-Big-Grey-Man
Munro compleatist

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:00 am

Fantastic report HSC and stunning pics - I'll bet your brother is keen to get back to Skye - what an excellent day :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Bod » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Next Skye plan in the making too....great report, loved reading and seeing. We're may in one or two of you pics....he he. All the best, Bod
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby BlackPanther » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Nice one - this hill is a great viewpoint for the Cuillin Ridge. Remember when we did it 2 years ago it was scorching hot and after our walk we jumped into Allt na Dunaiche :lol: :lol:
I've just arrived back home from Skye, weather during the week wasn't great (wet-wet-wet), but we still managed two Munros and a few good long walks. Have to sort photos and post my reports...
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby Bod » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:09 pm

Good, good, good....more Skye reports from last week. Going to enjoy! Ain't it funny, I am sure we were all speaking before we went, and I think perhaps we were all camped together.......? Maybe we'll be face to face some day? Enjoy the summer.
BlackPanther wrote:Nice one - this hill is a great viewpoint for the Cuillin Ridge. Remember when we did it 2 years ago it was scorching hot and after our walk we jumped into Allt na Dunaiche :lol: :lol:
I've just arrived back home from Skye, weather during the week wasn't great (wet-wet-wet), but we still managed two Munros and a few good long walks. Have to sort photos and post my reports...
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby HighlandSC » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:13 pm

Bod wrote:We're may in one or two of you pics....he he. All the best, Bod

Squint hard enough and I'm sure I can see you on top ;)
Inn Pinn

Looking forward to your reports Black Panther, they should complete the early June Cuillin-fest :D
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland