walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Inaccessible Pinnacle, Cuillin Hills

Inaccessible Pinnacle, Cuillin Hills

by Bod » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:58 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle

Date walked: 04/06/2011

Ascent: 980m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Inaccessible Pinnacle, Cuillin Hills

Postby Holly » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:26 pm

Brilliant report and having done the Inn Pinn on Saturday past there with only a few photos, it gave me a reminder of what I had experienced! I was taken up by a fabulous guide Tony, who is also Mountain Rescue and has a SARDA dog. I am a slow walker and had never climbed or abseiled before.

He was professional, encouraging, patient and was my hero for the day! It was strange because the Inn Pinn was really quiet despite really good weather and we only met a group when we were ascending the mountain and another guide with a client on their way back too. It was just Tony my guide and me for the ascent up the inn pin and my abseil down.

Anyway I was far too nervous to take many photos and didnt take my camera up on the Inn Pinn with me but the experience was a once in a lifetime one and your report says it all!
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby tony.cee » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:41 pm

awesome pics. genuinely inspiring. :D
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Postby Bod » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:24 pm

Glad you like my photos and report so much, and the best support is so important as you say. Glad you had time to enjoy also.....more Cuillins I think, cheers
Holly wrote:Brilliant report and having done the Inn Pinn on Saturday past there with only a few photos, it gave me a reminder of what I had experienced! I was taken up by a fabulous guide Tony, who is also Mountain Rescue and has a SARDA dog. I am a slow walker and had never climbed or abseiled before.

He was professional, encouraging, patient and was my hero for the day! It was strange because the Inn Pinn was really quiet despite really good weather and we only met a group when we were ascending the mountain and another guide with a client on their way back too. It was just Tony my guide and me for the ascent up the inn pin and my abseil down.

Anyway I was far too nervous to take many photos and didnt take my camera up on the Inn Pinn with me but the experience was a once in a lifetime one and your report says it all!
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby mrssanta » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Bod I really enjoyed reading this. we have just arranged a trip to Skye in May (with a guide) and I'm very excited and just a little terrified so this was really helpful to read
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby craighall » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:04 pm

Great report & photos - looks a bit too ambitious for me !

Michael.
craighall
Mountaineer

Munros:10   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4

Postby ChrisW » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:59 am

Great stuff Bod, beautiful photos, congratulations on taming that monster....I'm impressed :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Ranger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:16 am

Hoping to do the in pin this summer and must say I'd prefer to the west ridge!

From what I've seen.....a V Diff climb, certainly do-able, but with about 5-10% of the exposure/terror of the east ridge.

That east ridge looks terrifying! :shock:
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:05 am

Bod, a brilliant report! felt my stomach lurch looking at a couple of those pictures - looked as though you could fall a long way of you had a little slip. Will definitely need my bravery pills if I ever trry this one!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby foggieclimber » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:18 pm

Ranger wrote:Hoping to do the in pin this summer and must say I'd prefer to the west ridge!

From what I've seen.....a V Diff climb, certainly do-able, but with about 5-10% of the exposure/terror of the east ridge.

For info, the West Ridge has been upgraded to "Severe" in the revised Skye Cuillin guidebook.
Much less exposure, than East Ridge, but very polished and lacking protection in the lower half.
Ascent of West Ridge

The East Ridge is a hard scramble but with incredible exposure.

Most enjoyable ridge I've been up is Pinnacle Ridge. Have yet to do the Dubhs though - it's meant to be superb too.
foggieclimber

Postby foggieclimber » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:30 pm

Ranger wrote:Hoping to do the in pin this summer and must say I'd prefer to the west ridge!

For info, the West Ridge has been upgraded to "Severe" in the revised Skye Cuillin guidebook.
Much less exposure, than East Ridge, but very polished and lacking protection in the lower half.
Ascent of West Ridge

The East Ridge is a hard scramble / "Moderate" climb but with incredible exposure.

Most enjoyable ridge I've been up is Pinnacle Ridge. Have yet to do the Dubhs though - it's meant to be superb too.
foggieclimber

Postby xpfloyd » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:53 pm

Missed this report when it was originally done. Scary looking stuff! Think ill be leaving this one for a loooong time. Well done and great pics and report
xpfloyd
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:38 pm

Having led both, one day after each other many years ago (the second day was the last bit of the Coire Lagan round, best "walk" I've ever done, not much actual walking though, hands on rock all the way!) I'd recommend sticking with the East ridge. The West is steep, slightly off balance in places and less pleasant in all ways. The exposure isn't that much less, and the East ridge is so much fun that you really shouldn't miss out. Much of the first half of the east ridge isn't as exposed, its the middle section where you feel it. Your guide will make you feel pretty safe anyway.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby Bod » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Absolutely, your guide will make you feel comfortable whilst keeping the excitement in place. If you are a walking/scrambling mountaineer rather than a climber, put all your trust in a Guide and do as we were told, just enjoy it! :D :D :D
(We were so lucky to spend our day on the In-Pinn and Sgurr Mhic Choinnich under the wonderful guidance of my very good friend, who was my ML instructor from a few years back. Could not have been luckier too with our weather :D )
Bod
Walker

Postby mgmt! » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:03 pm

awrite bod, im sure i posted a reply when you first posted, its a great place skye truely special, as for the inn pinn ?

solo it :lol:

P6040036.JPG
mgmt!
Mountaineer

Postby Bod » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:58 am

Hi mgmt, that was amazing day back in June, with you just 20minutes or so behind us on the pinn. Of course you were on the whole traverse and had been on the Cuillin since even earlier hours than us. My good friend Redrock is sure he saw you both leaving Glen Brittle campsite at about 2.30am when he was up at the loo....I remember you clearly standing on the pinn soon after soon I had abseiled down. We got back in August to tackle Am Basteir and Bruach na Frithe; wonder what 2012 will bring? :D :D :lol:
Bod
Walker

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland