walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Dearg - but not the hard way!

Meall Dearg - but not the hard way!

Postby PeteR » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:42 pm

Route description: Meall Dearg from the north

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 05/06/2011

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Given the "wash out" that had been May this year I was desparate to get back out on the hills. I'd even had to resort to decorating to keep myself occupied in the intervening few weeks :lol: :lol: so a chance to get out of the house and get some fresh air was definitely needed.

I decided to take it easy for my first walk back - choosing to tackle Meall Dearg on the Aonach Eagach ridge via its much easier north east ridge. The approach is from loch levenside up gleann a' chaolais along a fairly good (if boggy in places) path. The start of the walk gave a nice sneaky view of the pap of glencoe.
DSCF8774.JPG
Pap of glencoe

Although the day had started off with the cloud below the summits I was happy to see that it was lifting nicely as I was making my way into the gleann.
DSCF8794.JPG
Early view of my target

Eventually the good path became a little sketchy and it was a case of making my way up onto the saddle between the MD north east ridge and the corbett garbh bheinn. My guide book suggested keeping close to the stream which came down from the saddle, which despite taking you away from the ridge did actually provide the best route onto the saddle (avoiding lots of undulations that would have had to be encountered if I had looked to go straight up onto the saddle). Gaining height gave a nice view back down the gleann to loch leven.
DSCF8795.JPG
View back the way I'd come

But it was the views ahead that were starting to grab my attention as the AE ridge started to open up to my right :D
DSCF8798.JPG
The AE ridge

Heading up onto the bealach also opened up a nice view of the eventual route up onto the summit of MD :)
DSCF8810.JPG
Route to the summit

It also gave a nice view looking along the blackwater resevoir too :D
DSCF8817.JPG
Blackwater resevoir

The best route up the north east ridge is to stay close to the line of fence posts that appear as you head to the high point of the saddle.
DSCF8820.JPG
Fence post route to the top

Early on the path was a little sketchy, but as I got higher up, and things became a bit steeper, a good path had developed close to the fence posts which was easy to follow and made much easier work of a section which otherwise would have dragged if I had had to find my own way up over grass and boulders.

As I made my way up a look back gave some good views of the Mamores 8), particularly stob ban and sgurr a' mhaim 8) :D
DSCF8831.jpg
Stob ban of the mamores

DSCF8834.jpg
Sgurr a' mhaim

The view of sgurr a' mhaim was probably more impressive as ben nevis behind it was shrouded in cloud. A little while later, when the cloud had lifted the view didn't strike me a so good, as the bulk of the ben seemed to engulf everything around it.

I did get a nice view of buachaille etive mor peeking between am bodach and MD
DSCF8852.jpg
Stob dearg

After an initial section of steep ascent the ridge levels for a short while, before a final short, easy rise to the summit. As I popped up onto the levelling I got my first proper views of stob coire leith, sgorr nam fiannaidh and the AE ridge. This really took my breath away :D :D Fantastic views :D :D
DSCF8855.jpg
Stob coire leith and sgorr nam fiannaidh

DSCF8857.jpg
AE ridge

Beinn a bheithir didn't look bad either 8)
DSCF8860.jpg
Beinn a bheithir

Hitting the summit and the views were amazing :D Suddenly the hills of glencoe came into view and the view along the AE ridge was incredible. Looking at the ridge from the summit I was beginning to think that it didn't look as daunting as I had previously thought :lol: :lol: :lol: I've since read the reports and seen the pictures from Stretch and others on their memorable day out on the AE ridge the day before :shock: :shock: :shock: I'm still having nightmares about those pictures :lol: :lol: Apparently it isn't as straightforward as I thought :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock:

Here's some of my pictures from the summit
DSCF8871.jpg
View along AE ridge from MD summit

DSCF8875.jpg
And again

DSCF8877.jpg
Bidean nam bian

DSCF8881.jpg
And again

DSCF8883.jpg
Am bodach

DSCF8885.jpg
And again

I spent a fair amount of time on the summit of MD. It was perfectly still and quite warm. I was the only person about, although I could see people either end of the main ridge. I hadn't really expected much from the route, but so far the day had been much better than expected. I was transfixed by the the AE ridge, so decided to have a bit of a wander along to the first of the chimneys.
DSCF8911.jpg
Start of of the AE proper

DSCF8912.jpg
And again

I've got to say that even the view down to the base of the chimney was bad enough :shock: It looked a bit tricky to get down to (which I wouldn't particularly enjoy), although I was quite taken by the climb up the chimney ...... assuming I ever get the bottle to tackle the ridge one day :lol: :lol:

Eventually it was time to make my way back down :( :(

As I did so I made sure I made the most of the view back to the AE ridge in all it's scary spleandour 8) Got a good view of a walker standing on top of one of the pinnacles as they made their way across :D :shock:
DSCF8938.jpg
Walker on AE ridge

DSCF8939.jpg
Looking back to the AE ridge

On getting to the bottom of the north east ridge of MD it was then a pleasant walk back down to the kinlochleven road and my car, taking in the views back toward the loch
DSCF8943.jpg
Back toward loch leven

At the moment I'm a coward and recent reports on the AE ridge just go to confirm that point of view :lol: For those who want to enjoy the sight of the AE ridge without the need to scare themselves stupid then climbing MD via its north east ridge is a good alternative option. Personally I'm gald I did this walk. It wasn't too taxing, gave superb views of the AE ridge, glencoe and appin hills as well as ben nevis and the mamores and has given me just the boost I need to get back out next weekend :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Re: Meall Dearg - but not the hard way!

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:13 am

Really great report (as always) PeteR - this looks a fantastic walk and some of those views are spectacular, this could well be worth the 3.5 hour drive from my place :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby PeteR » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:17 pm

Thanks Chris.

I would say it's well worth the trip, as the AE ridge is something else when you see it at close quarters :D One for a fine day though as the saddle could be difficult to negotiate in mist.
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

Postby Alan S » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Excellent report and pics there PeteR 8) great to see some more shots of the ridge and the surrounding hills as on my recent trip i didnt pay too much attention to what was around me, just what was in front of me :o :D

Cheers
Alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Johnny Corbett » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Good idea to climb Meall Dearg to get a taster of the ridge before attempting it. I may do the same with the girlfriend incase she bottles it :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby anasta » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:40 pm

Great report :) Loving all the pictures, especially of the ridge :thumbup:
anasta
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

7 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland