walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Buachaille Etive Mor

Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby Paulg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:07 pm

Date walked: 30/06/2011

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 1110m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I climbed Buachaille Etive Mor at the end of last month on a beautiful sunny day. (Yes there was one). After being dropped of by the bus at the start of the devils staircase I began the accent up Coire na Tulaich which was a nice rugged path with a spot of scrambling at the very top. I was glad that the sun was not fully high in the sky it this point as it would have been a hard slog up what would have been a sun trap.

After reaching the shoulder I turned west and started the accent up towards stob dearg this is a nice easy path with great views across Glencoe, Rannoch Moor and Glen Etive. There were some good opportunities to chat to some friendly fellow hill walkers, which is always nice. I’m always taken aback by the fact that I end up speaking to more people on the hills than I do living in a busy city. Anyway I then turned around and made my way along the ridge towards Stob na Doire which was equally spectacular. After reaching the summit of Stob na Doire I stopped for some lunch taking in the spectacular scenery down to Larig Gartain.

All in this is one of the best walks I have done the accent up was fairly easy however you do start nearly 200ms above sea level so this helps. Al in a great day!!!

P.s i have done this in reverse ARGH!!
Attachments
DSC00707.JPG
off back for the Bus
DSC00699.JPG
Stob na Broige
DSC00697.JPG
Looking back towards Stob Dearg
DSC00695.JPG
Across to Buachaille Etive Beag.
DSC00692.JPG
Inevitable summit shot.

Inevitable summit shot.
Inevitable summit shot (Stob Dearg)
DSC00691.JPG
still ice up there
DSC00690.JPG
Views across to Rannoch Moor
DSC00684.JPG
nice rugged path up with some great views.
DSC00683.JPG
DSC00682.JPG
Coire na Tulaich
DSC00681.JPG
the approach to Coire na Tulaich (what a day)
Paulg
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Buachaille Etive Mor

Postby bushcraft2 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:20 pm

Sunny? In Scotland? Don't get the sun confused with flashes of lightning.
bushcraft2
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Paulg » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:22 pm

bushcraft2 wrote:Sunny? In Scotland? Don't get the sun confused with flashes of lightning.

Yip it was truly a sunny day! Can’t wait to the next one. Should be due in about a month. Lol :lol:
Paulg
Munro compleatist

Postby smorrow » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:49 pm

I did this the week before you. Good to see what the cloud was hiding :roll: Definitely picked the wrong week to take off work.
smorrow
Munro compleatist

Munros:55   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:44 am

Looks like a good day!

ps. You can put the pics in any order you like by putting your cursor where you want want to be, and then pressing 'place inline' - that puts that pic at that point in the text.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Paulg » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:02 pm

smorrow wrote:I did this the week before you. Good to see what the cloud was hiding :roll: Definitely picked the wrong week to take off work.

It’s a roll of the dice hill walking in Scotland. This day i threw two sixes. :lol:
Paulg
Munro compleatist

Postby Paulg » Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:10 pm

Paul Webster wrote:Looks like a good day!

ps. You can put the pics in any order you like by putting your cursor where you want want to be, and then pressing 'place inline' - that puts that pic at that point in the text.

it was! Cheers for the tip will amend in due course.
Paulg
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland