walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Brack on the hills again !

Brack on the hills again !

Postby tomyboy73 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:48 pm

Route description: The Brack and Cnoc Còinnich , Ardgartan

Corbetts included on this walk: The Brack

Date walked: 08/06/2011

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 790m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It`s been a while since i`d been out on the hills, a whole month in fact, now this would be acceptable if we were talking december, but may ? the month i was going to do so much in ? as it was, as we all know, **** from the heavens and blowing a gale when it wasn`t. So i couldn`t wait to get out, and if that meant a sunny night at the end of the week, then so be it! :D Myself and Jim headed straight from work to Arrochar and The Brack to enjoy some fresh air and punish those well rested calves. The path is easy to find as it is signposted from the track you walk on from the visitor centre. :thumbup:
IMG_2468.JPG
The Brack

IMG_2470.JPG
Jim on path

I was surprised at the start of the path as you go right up through the woods rather than starting on an open hill and had the signpost not been there i wouldn`t have believed that that was it. Although it was about 7 o`clock the sun was scorching as we got onto the hillside and across the burn flowing down the mountain. It`s a steep hill and the legs were burning in pain very quickly and the treking pole was out. The sun eventually went behind the hill and we made our way up to the bivvy boulder (?). This is a clump of huge rocks with plenty of nooks and crannies to explore and probably shelter in(hence the name). Jim climbed on top of one for a pic, slipped and cut his hand but was probably more annoyed when i told him it was a **** picture i took of him. :?
IMG_2479.JPG
bivvy boulder

Now wouldn`t it be handy if i pulled out the first aid kit i bought especially for times like this ? Yes, only if i hadn`t left it at home. :x Anyway we kept on going with the plan of reaching the summit by 9.pm. We got over the ridge to see views west and back towards the luss hills and there`s a tempting little lochan here.
IMG_2482.JPG
lochan

Copy (2) of P1080222And2more_tonemapped.jpg
Me on the brack, by Jim

From here there`s one last steep climb up and it`s actually quite surprising when you pop your head over the top of the path to find the summit right in front of you, instead of the usual false summit experience you get on most hills :)
The cloud for the weekend was now coming towards us and already covering the tops of Ime, Narnain and The Cobbler.
IMG_2494.JPG
luss hills

IMG_2496.JPG
Jim and Cobbler

IMG_2497.JPG
Summit with Ben Lomond
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Re: Brack on the hills again !

Postby jonny616 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:35 am

Great wee hill. Took my kids up there a couple of years ago & had to carry my youngest up that steep part at the begining. :lol:

Lovely pics

Regards

jonny
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Re: Brack on the hills again !

Postby Juliejjot » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi Tommy, :wave: thanks for a great review of the Brack. We (Jude and me) are going to walk it tomorrow. :D Like you it's been a while since we've ventured out on the hills - our last walk was 5 wks ago up the Cobbler in the p*****g (pouring) rain. Really looking forward to walking tomorrow - not looking forward to the pain!!!! :sick:
Juliejjot
Mountain Walker

Munros:10   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:1

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland