walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Abriachan Trails (near Loch Ness)

Abriachan Trails (near Loch Ness)

Postby HighlandSC » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:57 pm

Route description: Abriachan Trails

Date walked: 06/06/2011

Time taken: 0.5 hours

Distance: 1.6 km

Ascent: 25m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date - Mon 06/06/2011
Title - Abriachan Trails
Route - Short clockwise circuit around forest trail
Weather - Cloudy but dry
People - Me
Time - 30 mins
Distance - 1.6km

Abriachan (6 June 2011) Route GPX 1.6km.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Found myself nearby with some time to spare so thought I’d go and have a look round the Abriachan Trails. It’s about 10 miles SW of Inverness, overlooking Loch Ness. The Walkhighlands route is a bigger loop that takes in the waymarked trails and all the features to see, plus extending the walk to the summit of Carn na Leitire before returning on a section of the Great Glen Way route. My walk was only a quick wander round the main trails close to the car park.

I’d imagine this place gets mobbed at weekends, but on a dull Monday afternoon I didn’t see a soul.

I started off from the car park and went past the toilets and the park on the excellent trails and boardwalks and made a short loop around the forest.

Turf roofed toilet

Play park

Path

Boardwalk

“Wee Tree House”.

Wildlife hide overlooking Loch Laide

Through the forest some more and branching off to a dead end quiet spot with a bench in memory of Judith Mary Bowles 1932-2008 (not sure who she is)

Tiny shelter

A more luxurious forest fort

Reconstruction of a bronze age hut

Dragonfly
Last edited by HighlandSC on Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Re: Abriachan Trails (near Loch Ness)

Postby ChrisW » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:41 am

Looks a great wee spot for the family, someone put a lot of effort into that bench. Love that shot from inside the wildlife hide :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Abriachan Trails (near Loch Ness)

Postby rocket-ron » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:15 pm

great report. i love taking the dogs up there
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland