walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The dreaded 6 around theTarf Hotel.

The dreaded 6 around theTarf Hotel.

Postby davetherave » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Munros included on this walk: An Sgarsoch, Beinn Dearg (Blair Atholl), Càrn a' Chlamain, Càrn an Fhìdhleir (Càrn Ealar)

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac, Beinn Mheadhonach

Date walked: 04/06/2011

Time taken: 17 hours

Distance: 54.5 km

Ascent: 2775m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Date. Saturday 4TH June 2011
Completed by. Dave, Julie and Wilson
Weather. Rain poor vis, slightly better next day.
Time. 17 hrs
Distance. 54.5 km
Ascent. 2775 m
Hills.
Munro’s x 4
Corbett’s x 2
Grahams x 0

oor route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Carn a Chlamain, Beinn Dearg, Carn a Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch

Beinn Mheadhonach and Beinn Bhreac

Starting from.

Old Bridge of tilt car park

We changed our plans from doing the Mamores ridge, and decided on doing the dreaded six up the back of Glen Tilt. Weather forecast was meant to be better towards the east, supposedly. I had been avoiding this route for a while but now, with the predicted better weather in the east, this was now the time!

Once again we arrive late due to my nightshift! We did not leave the Old Bridge of Tilt car park till after 3pm. I had originally hoped to camp at the bealach to the west of An Sgarsoch, but at a very early stage I realised that this would not happen. And by the time we had passed Gilberts Bridge, and were heading towards the old military bridge I told Julie to prepare for a night in the Tarf hotel.

From the Old military Bridge it was a 3km hike up the ridge North, to the summit of Beinn Mheadhonach. Until now visibility was pretty poor and it had been raining on and off since we started, thankfully there was very little wind. We never hung around, we just carried on north for a short spell then headed due east towards Carn a Chlamain.

We arrived there wet; and again we carried on pretty smartish no time for hanging around. After a short photo session we head for Conlach Beag then on to Meall Tionail. From here we would occasionally get short glimpses of the bothy through the clouds. “Not far now” I said.

1 (1).JPG
small bridge past gilberts bridge

1 (2).JPG
arriving at the old military bridge

1 (3).JPG
looking down on the military bridge

1 (4).JPG
cairn and shelter prior to summit of Beinn Mheadhonach

1 (5).JPG
a spot of planking on Beinn Mheadhonach summit (blame radio scotland)

1 (7).JPG
a pair o drookit rats on Carn a Chlamain summit

1 (8).JPG
looking towards the Tarf Hotel

1 (11).JPG
julie inspecting the Hotel.

We spent a very good evening at the Tarf bothy; we had it all to ourselves. We found a Lump of Bog wood drying in the NE room. I spent 20minutes chipping it down with a steel poker, I returned the other half of the bog wood to the room we found it hiding in…… I also scavenged some bits of coal out of the fire. We managed to eat our super as we toasted our toes at the fire. What a great end to our day.

Next morning we were up and gone by 7am we still had a massive day ahead of us. As for the weather I never quite new what it would bring so the sooner we got going the better. The views near the bothy were good, but up at any height they were non-existent. We never got any decent views until later in the day.

The views from An Sgarsoch summit were poor, by the time we reached Carn a Fhidhleir they were starting to improve ever so slightly. And from there on the views stayed much the same.

We then skimmed round Carn Meall Tionail then headed on to Cnap a Choire Chreagaich, from here we got reasonable views over to the Corbett Beinn Bhreac. We dropped off from Cnap a Choire Chreagaich in a slightly wrong direction, we ended up descending the scree. We should have been more SE, ended up giving ourselves a bit more work than was needed. We then headed for the 845m spot height and carried on for the summit of Beinn Bhreac.

1 (12).JPG
a bright start the following morning

1 (15).JPG
The views from An Sgarsoch summit

1 (19).JPG
Carn a Fhidhleir summit

1 (20).JPG
Wilson looking to Beinn Bhreac from Cnap a Choire Chreagaich.

1 (23).JPG
Wilson on Beinn Bhreac summit

1 (34).JPG
Beinn Dearg summit

1 (36).JPG
looking back to Beinn Dearg

1 (37).JPG
views

1 (40).JPG
Beinn a Ghlo on the outward journey.

1 (42).JPG
Wilson still wanting to play.

Was a good 4km to reach our final summit of the day; thankfully the terrain did not look to demanding. The only thing I was concerned about was when we did reach our final summit Beinn Dearg we still had a good 13 km to go to reach the car park. But soon enough our final summit was reached and to our advantage, from here on out was a downhill trek on a track of sorts… :)
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: The dreaded 6 around theTarf Hotel.

Postby gammy leg walker » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:53 pm

Another big round again Dave,you are fairly racking them up,Wilson must be one of the fittest dogs around,can I ask how old is he
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby monty » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:45 pm

I read that you were gonna do this soon. Excellent report on a big walk. I need to get fit and run round these :lol:

There seems to be no limit to your stamina :D
monty

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:22 pm

Another great report there Dave, you like your epics eh. The planking photo made me laugh :D Your gonna have to teach Wilson to plank
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby Graeme D » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:08 am

The Tarf Hotel is a fine place to spend a night! Brilliant bagging in some pretty grim looking conditions! :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:01 am

Great report as always Dave on a helluva long wander - but I think you may have to work on you planking :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:59 pm

epic stuff dave as usual :D - but I just don't get this planking stuff at all :? have 5 of these 6 on my to do list but somehow don't think they'll all be in the same trip ! 8)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby kevsbald » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:18 pm

Just saw this - stupendous effort given the conditions. Fond memories of the Tarf - it looks to have had a wee repair to the North end.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby davetherave » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:11 pm

I think I may have been the 1st to post a planking pic on WH. Then withn a couple days railtrackdriver created a thread that would create quite a debate.

I decided not to contrabute to that thread. Haha.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland