walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Wyvis

Ben Wyvis

Postby Vick1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:29 pm

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 31/05/2011

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 900m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We chose this walk simply because it was en route between our brief visit to the Cairngorms and a big day in Torridon. I have driven past this huge mountain before and it didnt really excite me however in all honesty I did enjoy the walk and the weather played a bit in that. I didnt take as many pics as I normally do so here goes

Parked at Ben Wyvis car park
DSCF0128.JPG
handy notice board - great views await :-)

A nice easy walk up to the Nature reserve
DSCF0129.JPG
forest walk

After the easy walk comes the man made steps taking you up to the plateau and anyone who believes in short steps is going to be dissappointed as these ones were hard work but a short break 3/4 way up was rewarded with fine views
DSCF0134.JPG
nice view from 3/4 way up

Shortly after you reach the wee summit of An Cabar
DSCF0138.JPG
an cabar cairn
and a quick look back indicated we were about to get very wet
DSCF0139.JPG
this storm caught us on the top

The rest of the walk is across a huge plateau and seconds after taking this pic we were clouded out and bombarded by armour piercing hail stones LOL . The only consulation was that we didnt get soaked as the hail bounced off us
DSCF0140.JPG
a huge plateau on top

As quickly as the storm came it left and blasted Inverness and we were left in the sunshine and not needing to navigate to the summit
DSCF0147.JPG
the view to Inverness
DSCF0148.JPG
summit view south

We reached the summit and views extended to An Teallach and the Fannichs
DSCF0146.JPG
photos at the summit time

After the summit we didnt return by the same route and dropped down to Tom a Choinnich and followed a stream down to the forest area - I wouldnt recommend this again as the walk was very heavy going without a definitive path thro a bit of a boulder field , heather , forest track and very boggy for almost all the descent.
Vick1
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   Corbetts:10
Fionas:5   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:73   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland