walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Aonach Eagach on the first of May

Aonach Eagach on the first of May

Postby Redrock » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:57 pm

Route description: Aonach Eagach

Munros included on this walk: Meall Dearg (Aonach Eagach), Sgòrr nam Fiannaidh (Aonach Eagach)

Date walked: 01/05/2011

Time taken: 8.5 hours

Distance: 9.5 km

Ascent: 1100m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The attachment our_route.gpx is no longer available

I have been meaning to post this report for a while but here it is at last. In many ways it parallels Bod's report of the same expedition but I thought if would be good to add my perspective on the Aonach Eagach Ridge. Actually, all the photos are courtesy of Bod as I managed to leave my camera behind in the excitement of setting off to do the ridge! :( So thanks Bod for all the pictures!

I first considered traversing the Aonach Eagach about five years ago when my brother suggested tackling it with a climbing friend. I didn't feel quite ready then as I had been off the hills for a while so I decided to leave it for a year of so. Then, in 2008, I suffered a bout of labyrihytis which left my balance disturbed for months and which left me with residual vertigo. :crazy: It's taken me a few years to get my confidence back on the hills especially for exposed situations where balance is everything! But the confidence is now just about back. So when the opportunity came up to tackle this supposedly fearsome ridge and the weather was fine it seemed that it was the right time to do it and I set off with Bod and Val from the A82 road near Alt-na-Reigh on this epic journey.

I'll let the photographs tell the story:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSCN0905.JPG
Setting off from Alt-na-Reigh

DSCN0917.JPG
Climbing to Am Bodach - a good preparation

DSCN0938.JPG
The Chancellor from Am Bodach

DSCN0947.JPG
Looking down "The Drop" - a 20 metre climb down (can you see the figure below at the top left?)

DSCN0970.JPG
At the foot of "The Drop"

DSCN0972.JPG
Looking back to where we had climbed down from Am Bodach

DSCN0992.JPG
From the summit of Meall Dearg towards the "Crazy Pinnacles"

DSCN1001.JPG
A chimney to climb!

DSCN1018.JPG
An airy promenade along the ridge

DSCN1023.JPG
Val - on route

DSCN1034.JPG
Climbing down - with exposure!

DSCN1039.JPG
Some people cross on that narrow edge - not me!

DSCN1050.JPG
I'll let the lady show the way!

DSCN1053.JPG
It's nice to get a level bit for a change

DSCN1057.JPG
This looks like a challenge!

DSCN1061.JPG
This feels more like climbing than scrambling - but no problem!

DSCN1075.JPG
I've completed the ridge and now I have a following!

DSCN1100.JPG
On Stob Coire Leith

DSCN1114.JPG
The team on the summit of Sgorr nam Fiannaidh

DSCN1113.JPG
The beginning of the descent back to Glencoe Village

I thoroughly enjoyed scrambling the Aonach Eagach Ridge. The conditions were good (dry and not too strong winds). It was an exciting scamble - which I love - and the exposure was far less of a problem than I had expected. I was far too busy concentrating on the scrambling most of the time. The climb down from Am Bodach was probably the most difficult part of the traverse - if you can do that you can do the rest of the ridge. And don't let the photos put you off - sometimes the camera angle can exaggerate the exposure. But it was quite exposed all the same and I'm not sure if I would like to tackle this route in wet or windy conditions. Our second car was parked at the foot of the Pap of Glencoe so we descended there before going on to enjoy well earned refreshments at the Clachaig Inn. It had been a truly amazing day! 8)
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Aonach Eagach on the first of May

Postby Bod » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:13 am

Yes Redrock, a truly amazing day, shared together!
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby Malckyb » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:01 pm

Great pics...well done..looks so much fun,looking frwd to doing this one! :-)
Malckyb
Munro compleatist

Munros:87   Corbetts:6
Fionas:6   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:19   

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:16 pm

wow; gorgeous day for it!

We were up there last week and I think if it were that warm it would have been a longer day!

Horrible descent....
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Redrock » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:30 pm

Gable Gable End wrote:wow; gorgeous day for it!

We were up there last week and I think if it were that warm it would have been a longer day!

Horrible descent....

Aye, GGE, the weather was just about perfect for the ridge which made it a thoroughly enjoyable day! :D I can't imagine it would be much fun in wind and rain. We were fortunate that day - but I've had my share of grotty weather too! :( It's definitely worth another go if you get the chance.

We were able to descend west from Sgorr nam Fianniadh (past the Pap of Glencoe) thanks to having two cars. It was quite a good descent route. Did you descend south from the second Munro? We'd heard it was pretty punishing and looking down that way it certainly looked steep and rocky. Most guide books warn you off the path down by the Clachaig Gully (I heard there was someone injured there the day we were on the ridge). There are some, I am told, who, having completed the ridge, prefer to return again over the Aonach Eagach and descend from Am Bodach to their start point. We met a couple of guys who were doing just that the day we were there! Good for them! :D
Redrock
Munro compleatist

Munros:164   Corbetts:11
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland